• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Paul1234

BBC article

Paul1234   

Hello Everybody. Thought I'd pop in again after several months of trying not to waste my life away on the internet :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-28746359

Interesting and frustrating and lots of things. Lots of things missing and a few welcome points.

Meltdowns : I've had these but very rarely. One surprised me a couple of years ago, it was like I wasn't there, on autopilot. I didn't know they were common/typical of asd. Hey that means it wasn't my fault lol... I'd hate to have another one though.

It is not unusual for someone on the autism spectrum to have a co-occurring condition.

I think this is because the differences are not just in the conscious mind or even emotional IQ etc.. that "screw loose" also applies to the way the body (brain) reacts to things including illnesses. I remember someone very close to me having the most ridiculous reactions to almost any illness, drug or change.. she was definitely in the asd club. I see similar thing in the way my body reacts, but having this knowledge, kind of empowers me to ignore it I suppose and just go with the flow.

I was going to say its a shame the author doesn't have aspergers or they would have written something different. However at the bottom it says they do have it :lol: Although I'm glad articles like this one pop up occasionally as it helps people understand it.

I was going to say its a shame the author doesn't have Asperger's or they would have written something different. However at the bottom it says they do have it

More about the author - she certainly makes me feel inadequate.

dekra   

I've had meltdowns. Infrequently usually but I've had a couple of doozies this year. If I hadn't had my dx made official I may even have ended up at a fitness to practice panel but thankfully that never happened. I have a very very strong sense of fairness and if I feel the frustration of being treated unfairly or unreasonable demands placed on me then criticised for not meeting those demands it can and will trigger a meltdown. As an adult I am usually aware of the triggers building and can remove myself from the stimuli now but not always. Think I have had more meltdowns in the last year or so than I had in the previous 10 years.

Mihaela   

"I have a very very strong sense of fairness and if I feel the frustration of being treated unfairly or unreasonable demands placed on me then criticised for not meeting those demands it can and will trigger a meltdown".

Same here, very much!!

Most of my meltdowns took place in my teens at home. I think it was how I coped with the daily bullying at school. Since then they've resulted from many acts of injustice, and I try my best to avoid such situations. My sense of fairness extends to all sentient beings. I detest all kinds of cruelty and sometimes I literally weep for the state of humanity. The NT world is so utterly inhumane in so many ways. I'm acutely aware of injustice everywhere; in the family, in schools, in the NHS, local authorities, governments... Even the so-called 'justice system' with its Orwellian-named 'Ministry of Justice' can be thoroughly unjust - often intentionally so.

So I don't merely get upset when I happen to be the victim of injustice, but at injustice itself. I feel so alone.