Laddo

Claiming ESA

I've come to that point in my life where I've realised I simply can't work efficiently in certain types of job. I was claiming JSA but found it to be too much: as they make you apply for any jobs, I only ended up getting interviews for catering jobs which almost broke me. One interviewer asked me about everything, including why I was being bullied at my last job!

Because of this, I really need to claim ESA until I can find work in a more suitable job. I can't find any actual useful information on the DWP website. Can anyone who claims ESA give me a detailed breakdown of the application process, what I have to do and how long it takes? Would be much appreciated

It's been quite a while since I claimed it but any help or advice I can offer you're welcome to.

Bad news.

ESA involves ATOS, much dreaded as they are paid to find reasons why someone could work and so can not claim ESA. You have to be a total wreck and more or less house bound by your condition, and face a genuine doctor who has some knowledge of your condition, to have any hope of passing.

Max time on ESA without facing ATOS should be no more than three months. The reception desk had boxes of hanks for the tearful refused. Most people. Benefits stopped and your doctor is ordered not to give you any more sick notes.

If you pass ATOS and remain on ESA, either 'support group' or 'working group', 'working group' is for seriously ill/disabled who could work and have to do a scaled down version of what you currently do on JSA.

As remaining on ESA involves being paid more money, its unlikely that you will get past ATOS.

Wether you should even start on this path is doubtful, I do not know you, so can say no more.

Edited by Waterboatman

Not everyone is asked by ATOS to attend a medical, I wasn't this was due to my inability to cope with certain situations such as noises, I'm hypersensitive, and anxiety levels.

I'm currently filling out the form and it's driving me crazy. I'm getting close to a panic attack because of this absurd form

Ok stop for a minute and tell me is there a welfare rights group locally or CAB or an advocate service ?

Which part is getting to you?

There is a CAB in my town.

The fact that there's so much repetition and the fact there are so many questions is getting to me. I find filling out forms stressful enough as it is - they make me feel like my privacy is being violated - but this is just horrible.

If it was me I'd call CAB and ask them to assist you in the form filling process they have a welfare rights expert who works for them and these people are the experts on these forms. Call them tomorrow and see what they say

Pari how long ago did you start claiming ESA? Also I assume your claim is backed up by a complete medical history. I know I am being a bit nosey.

All new claims unless the medical stuff is compelling will go through ATOS.

I was seen a year after claiming, now they are not trawling through existing claimants. The time lag between claiming and being seen will be shorter.

Due to a complete meltdown at work I started claiming it approx 30 months ago and yes it is backed by a complete medical history as a result I was not asked to attend.

Another company is taking over the medical assessments due to the incompetence of ATOS in my area at least if not nationwide eventually.

I don't think you are being nosey at all feel free to ask what you want.

Information is only useful when shared.

As I was diagnosed with AS when I was 7 years old I think there should be enough medical history to back up my claim.

Laddo if someone else fills out the form for you, and signs, it should help with your case.

But you are still likely to go through ATOS, I do not think a diagnoses for 'AS' is enough, especially as you have been able to work. If your condition is deteriorating enough for a good medical reason why you can not work, then you may pass. Thats really between you and your doctors. A huge amount of good luck is needed as well, with whoever actually looks at your case at ATOS. I got a NZ doctor, relieved I think to be able to pass someone through. It will also help if you have someone with you for support.