hsmum

post-16 placement

Hello,

I have just returned from a meeting in which it became apparent that my son's placement at his special school has broken down and it is not likely that he will be returning there after summer. The Head of school stated that their provision could not meet my son's mental health needs and that, although it is likely that the LA will implore us to give the placement more time, any extension of the provision will simply add to my son's sense of failure and deny him the possibility of finding somewhere more suitable. The Head also reported that due to risk factors, my son could not access the residential provision that we have been asking for since his discharge from hospital in October.

Although disappointed, we tend to agree with the Head and the senior consultant psychiatrist also seems willing to write a report stating exactly what my son needs in a provision to help our son's case. The report will go to the Local Authority.

So, we are almost at the end of the academic year; we have no idea where my son will go after summer and we face a long summer break time where there will be uncertainty and lack of activity.

I want to start looking for an alternative placement straight away, but I do not know where to start. We need something that is residential or at least provides weekly boarding facilities, caters for post 16 students and can support mental health difficulties that are complicated by ASC. My son is quite bright and has no directly challenging behaviour, but his mood is often extremely low.

Has anyone any suggestions where we could start looking? We would prefer the Yorkshire area, but not exclusively so.

Unfortunately I'm not able to help but do understand the particular concerns you have, I hope there is somebody here that give you some good advice on how it may be possible to help find the location most suitable. I hope you find everything your looking for.