Antolak

If you had only one question to ask

I am an Enhanced Provision teacher in a medium-sized mainstream primary school. All my pupils, bar one, are high on the autistic spectrum.

Later this week, interviews begin for the position of new headteacher in our school and I am on the preliminary interview panel. I am able to ask the interviewees just one question. What should that question be?

Any suggestions?

Richard.

PS Please remember that I may have to work under this person for the next few years.

Hi Richard

I very much envy you right now! Obviously this sooooo important! The answer will significantly impact every pupil and parent within the school.

I am giving it serious consideration. I know that when my son went through the primary school system.....there are no enhanced programmes to my knowledge in Fife.....my main concern was for his physical and emotional protection against bullying. It was torture to know he was being supervised by people who did not understand him. I assume that this is less of a concern within your establishment though? Are all staff trained in ASD??

Just letting you know that I am thinking hard for you.

Arlene

Hello Arlene,

thanks for thinking about this for me.

Only a few, possibly three, teachers in the school have had training in ASD (other than the hour-and-a-half's "overview" given at the beginning of each academic year).

Richard

Richard

In that case, the candidates views on discipline could be a strong indicator of their understanding about HF ASD?

Perhaps asking 'What will your discipline strategies and procedures involve/entail?'

Is that helpful at alll??

Edited by Arlene Mary Anderson

I am frequently frustrated that even provisions and policies which are formulated to support those with a learning disability do not cover high functioning individuals. This group can easily fall through the cracks when it comes to services. With the formative years being such a crucial time in building confidence, it would be comforting (and rare) that this was recognised and prioritised by anyone in authority. Please update with any insights you gain from your critical role. I am excited to know that your position exists......and dismayed that it is the first time I have heard about the possibility!! :thumbs:

Arlene x

Thanks Arlene,

getting the candidate to talk about discipline strategies with regard to ASD would be quite revealing. That's an interesting angle I had not considered. I had merely been thinking along the lines of inclusion and integration. So you've given me something to think about.

Many thanks.

Richard.

Don't ask the candidate, ask yourself: Is this person a really good teacher?

An expert teacher brings out the best in all their pupils of course, but with Autism the effect of the teacher is magnified - be it good or bad.

How do deal with conflict of interests where the parents say their child is one thing but you witness another?

Children often behave differently in school to how they behave at home. Parents regularly tell me that their children cannot do such and such, and are unbelieving when I tell them differently. Then again, some children behave beautifully in school, bottle up all their emotions, and let rip once they get home. So I can only ever tell a parent how I witness their child in class. Home-school liaison is vital in order to get a whole view of a child's character and abilities.

A late response, but maybe for next time ...

What challenges do autistics face from Nuerotypical people?

What is autism?

How does society discriminate against autistics.

Ask what they noticed today on the way (from home to the interview room - physically or sensory) which could be potentially stressful or confusing for autstics?

Ask what they think of ABA?

Edited by jack schitt