Sign in to follow this  
Tez

DLA Appeal Hearings

I'm due to attend a DLA appeal hearing with my Stepson tomorrow acting as his representative. I've submitted additional written evidence - a letter from thhe hospital detailing answers to most of the questions on the DLA form and I have rewritten and submitted his evidence given specific examples of the help that he needs and what happens if he doesn't give it. I'm fairly confident that any reasonable person would see that he was entitled to DLA just from the evidence from the hospital but I'm abit concerned about how the panel will handle the appeal.

Can anyone who has been to appeal tell me what to expect? Will they expect my Stepson to answer questions for himself or as his representative can I help? Is the appeal structured by the panel or are we expected to sell our case to them without them pointing us in the right direction by questioning?

Fortunately I got DLA without difficulty for my own son so haven't got any experience of what approach to take at appeal.

Hi Tez

Cant offer any advice on appealing as not been through myself but wish you luck for tomorrow and hope it all goes really well...... >:D<<'> :thumbs:

Let me know how you get on and fingers crossed...... :thumbs::thumbs:

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

Hi Tez

Take a look at this site, click on faqs and have a look at the information on there.

www.appeals-service.gov.uk

I attended an appeals panel a few years ago on behalf of my son. The panel were lovely, a representative for a learning support charity, a solicitor and some other bod. They were appalled that we had to go to appeal. I remember the usher showing me in and telling me not to worry because I wouldnt be long and giving me a kindly wink. I was back outside after 2 minutes with my son awarded top rate DLA and mobility and backdated for 2 years!

Good luck and try not to worry, let us know how you get on

Loraine

Thanks everyone,

Well, we got it. Higher rate care and lower rate mobility backdated to November of last year. We had nothing to lose because the DWP said that he wasn't entitled to anything.

If anyone is considering going to appeal but is worried about it I would say just go for it. All the panel were really nice and really helped us through it. They told us straight away that they had decided on the evidence that I had provided prior to the appeal that the DWP were wrong and that my stepson was entitled to a minimum of lower rate mobility and middle rate care but that they had a few questions that they would like to ask before deciding whether he was entitled to higher rate care.

They were aware that C was finding things difficult and kept offereing to stop and giving him glasses of water. When they had the information they wanted they asked us to wait in the waiting room while they made there decision but told C that there was no need for him to return they could give their decision to me. It took only minutes before they called me back in and said that they were agreed that he should get higher rate care.

They asked me to thank C and told me that they were aware that it had been extremely difficult for him and apologised for him having to go for through the ordeal of appeal.

So if anyone is wondering whether to appeal or not.... I would just say go for it.

B) So pleased for you, its always worth appealing, as I've always said whats the worst they can say ? NO ?

My sisters appeal is tomorrow, she has a schizophrenia related disorder and got my fingers crossed in advance :pray:

:( They've delayed her appeal by another week, staff sickness or something silly, another week of worry for her, I have told her what you said and others that its not as daunting as some people think etc

Well done Tez, really pleased for you. And thanks for the appeals service web link lorryw - that will really help me. Unfortunately all the pros who help out with appeals seem to be on holiday in the Gateshead area at the mo so I've been struggling with my appeal on my own. And in the middle of the school hols too!

Karen

x