Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Youngest to be diagnosed? and family link?

My son is suspected autistic but becuase he's only 2 they're not willing to diagnose yet which is fair enough. However I had a friend round yesterday who has a boy in her nursery class who has just turned 3, and has been diagnosed for around 9 months. He does have autism in the family though so not sure if that makes a difference?

Also I seem to be reading that it often affects several family members. As far as we are aware there's no history of ASD in either of our families. Is that unusual or is it just the luck of the draw as it were.

Thanks

Lynne

My son was 3 in April. He was diagnosed with a "probably social communication disorder" when he was 1year 11months. When he was 2yrs 5mths the diagnosis was ASD. Basically, as soon as I mentioned his problems they saw me straight away and he was diagnosed. I realise I have been very lucky, everyone has been great.

When he went for his assessment I did not know of any autism in the family. But afterwards my mother in law pointed out that my nephew had been diagnosed with AS, another nephew has dyspraxia, and my stepson has just been diagnosed with AS and dyspraxia. I'm sure DH has AS traits as well, and his dad, uncle and grandad! So it certainly looks like it runs in DH's family.

My eldest son was almost 9 when he was diagnosed with AS. My youngest though was diagnosed a few months later (aged 6).... I do think it's to do with what problems your child has, where you live, etc etc. My son with AS was a very early talker and had no apparent learning difficulties, hence his late diagnosis; but the younger one had a severe language delay and learning difficulties so was diagnosed much younger.

Particularly with Aspergers many people slip through the net. I have met one man who wasn't diagnosed until he was 65!! And I know there are many many more out there with no dx.

With regard to ASD running in families I'm constantly trying to identify relatives who may have traits. Problem is I see traits of it every where I look!! But I'm convinced it does run in families, I have two boys with ASD and a daughter (aged 13) that I'm becoming increasingly suspicious about! I know of no definate diagnosis of any other family member though.

Lauren

There was no history of AS in our families when James (4) was diagnosed with AS in May.

Since then my husband has self-dx and we see traits in practically all of our family members.

Once you start learning more about the condition everything seems to fit into place......

L

xx

I have two boys with DX

O has AS and he is 8

T has ASD

I think both have Aspergers....but waiting for Tom to attend school befoe I push for the diagnosed.

We were told it does run in families....

I have notice the triats in family members.....

ESP my partner sister....would never say it to her.....

Mainly because of my boys...she has made a bit thing on giving her second single vacination because of MMR AND AUTISM LINK....

I ignore her alot cruel I know....but any excuse to talk about autism and how her son is not autism....though personally not entirely convinced.....

Families.....partners families......they are so great...not

My ex hubby father of my daughter Iam convinced is autistic.He was quite violent but not with an apology he would rationalise the behavior the same way as my daughter does hers.He was obsessional over his mobile would cry if you touched it,took everything literally.Absolutely convinced that my daughter has inherited his problems.