Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Got tribunal hearing

Morning all... this is a long one... sorry... also I'm a bit of a jabbering wreck!

In January this year my AS son was rejected from admission to an independent school. (My daughter was already a pupil and as a result we've removed her.. but that's another story).

I didn't do anything about it at the time as I wasn't sure what I could do and was just absolutely stunned at the rejection. I did though manage to get a long email from the school's admissions clerk explaining their reasons for his rejection; every single one of them related to AS.

Months down the line and I decided to make a claim for descrimination on disability grounds. SENDIST wrote to me saying I was too late with my claim and they couldn't take it on. Their last para in the letter though informed me of my right to appeal. I did appeal and this morning got a letter informing me that they are allowing the hearing and it will be in December.

Has anyone ever had experience of, or heard of a case similar to this one? I'm starting on my evidence gathering and have to start making my statement; but if anyone knows of similar cases, or has experience of this I'd be interested to hear about it.

Also any advice re the hearing itself etc would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I know you only spoke to IPSEA yesterday, but they would be able to help you with your appeal.

I haven't personally been through the appeal process, but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly who has.

Good luck,

Annie

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Lauren,

Great news about your appeal, good luck with it.

I have no personal experience of tribunal but do know that SENDIST have a video of proceedings for parents to see, although I'm not sure if this includes discrimination hearings. You should be able to find the information here.

http://www.sendist.gov.uk/

Nellie xx

Have you been in touch with the Disability Rights Commission? They give excellent advice over the phone and I'm sure they can help with evidence.

The other thing to look at is on the SENDIST website. Tucked away somewhere obscure (sorry I haven't bookmarked it) are details of previous cases and you can trawl through and pick out arguments that will help with your case.

Good luck with this.

Hi Jaded, thanks :)

I've had contact with the DRC, they wrote to me in July and didn't think I'd have much chance of getting a hearing as I was so late with my claim. They did say to contact them though if SENDIST were willing to allow a late claim; which I will do first thing on Monday morning! I'm hoping they will provide me with a representative to go to the actual hearing :pray:

Lauren