Sign in to follow this  
Amanda32

Education dept

I'm a bit annoyed with the education dept at the moment.. :angry: A week before they left school by word of mouth I heard they were stopping my son's transport and changing it to another bus company... :wallbash: The driver said the dept should of informed me as if I hadn't of heard it from them would be stuck waiting for him for school next mth..... :wallbash: Well I informed them and they said they will send a letter out explaining the new times/company that is taking him........NO LETTER that was the last week of school. Rang them again last week and they said AGAIN will send a letter out 1st class... :lol: that was the middle of lastweek.... :lol: cant they get anything right... :unsure: Well to be honest if I dont get any information by the time he's in school as the bus maybe full now he cant go he's entitled to have transport so shouldn't have to take him myself or contact the company myself ed dept should have dealt with it all.... :angry: Why do they send letter's out to some parents and leave some out to get the info from other parents it gets on my nerves. See how things go as im not happy...

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

Edited by Amanda32

Thanks CarerQuie

The parents that are in my son's school at the resource base were all informed the first or second week of july and one of the parents lives 15mins away from me so I should of had a letter aswell that's why im a bit annoyed to hear off other people instead of ed dept telling me in which it was their responsibility.

Take care

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32

This sounds familiar!

Last year the LEA wanted to stop Phas Jr's taxi. We were not happy as they were just taking it away in one go. We wanted a staggered withdrawl (which we eventually got).They said 'NO' When the letters went out to the taxi firm the LEA stuffed up. They told them they were to pick him up in the morning for the first week of the summer term but not bring him home in the afternoon - which was wrong, it was supposed to be the other way round, then they would stop. We had this in writting (Not happy with it and were fighting it). Well the first week they arrived to pick him up - routine, so we thought nothing of it. When he went to get in the taxi that night the driver told himhe wasn't supposed to be taking him!!! He told him he would (sensible bloke) and to talk to us when he got home. We phoned the taxi people straight away, pointing out we didn't hold them responsible, and thanked them for their drivers common sense. At this point we were battling hard with the LEA for a phased withdrawl. Over the Easter holiday they had agreed to look at it again BUT keep full transport in place in the meantime...they just didn't tell the taxi firm, and what they did tell them was WRONG!

In the end we did get a proper, organised and agreed withdrawl. We never got an apology for the ######-up mind. We had ameeting with the LEA and asked them for their SEN specific transport policy document (they are SUPPOSED to have one according to the DfES)...they didn't know they should have one in place - they do now!

They cannot muck you about like this. I know phas Jr took time to get used to the idea of going to school on foot, but the phased withdrawl allowed this to happen. It was simple to organise and we made them stick to it.

If it was the local school he used to go to it's 10mins walk away so would be ok. His school he's in now is, if I walked him it would take us 45mins and there's no way he can do that. See if I hear this week otherwise may have to try and contact them myself and see if there are seats available for him.

Amanda...... >:D<<'>

Edited by Amanda32

Ask them for a copy of their SEN transport policy, like I say they are supposed to have one. It should set out what they will offer and how the arrangements are made/altered etc. If they haven't got one ask them why not. I'll try and find the document I had from the DfES with this in for you.

Found it! These are the details you need. You can order a copy from the DfES website.

HOME TO SCHOOL TRANSPORT FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS, GOOD PRACTICE GUIDANCE

Ref: 0068/2001

Follow this link:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/publications/

Type the reference number into the search box and it should give you the ordering options. Hope it helps.

I can't get the publication details up that way!!!!

That is the booklet I used to make my LEA squirm. All I can suggest is contacting them (DfES) with the details above directly and see what they say.

Edited by phasmid

Right, done a bit more digging and found this link for you:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/sen/sentransport/

There is a link to download a PDF version of: Home to school travel for pupils requiring special arrangements. This was printed in Nov 2004 and therefore superscedes the document I used. As with the one I used it sets out the LEAs duties and obligations regarding transport for pupils with sen. It is a 'recommended' document as opposed to 'guidance' or 'lawful requirement' but, LEAs would have to have damn good reasons for ignoring it!

I would be checking through to make sure they have followed it (to the letter). If they haven't, and I'd be surprised if they have, then you can start quoting this to them. It worked for us when we used the old version! This one is 37 pages long. Although it doesn't have the details of how to order a hard copy there is an e-mail address on the front cover page that may be able to help.

Hope this is useful.

Been in touch with the school and they said he his on the new bus automatically but not sure the times of the pickup.... :unsure: I should imagine they will turn up about the same time as the other one but cant phone them they never answer the phones.... :wallbash: Should be ok though just wish I was given all this information before.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

:( Not good enough! If I were you I would be getting onto the LEA and demanding they find out the times of the pick up - and then tell you. You should have had these details given to you, and having been forced to chase them and still not get them I think you NEED to know what is going to be the routine, and I think the LEA should do it!

You need the times of pick up and its always worth having a word with driver and explaining your sons problems that may affect transport like time keeping, sameness etc etc My partner is a taxi driver and the LEA give them zero info usually which can make it extremely difficult. Luckily he picks up 2 boys with ASD's and he's got practise dealing with it. Its nice actually coz he genuinely cares about these 2 little guys and he's always blasting the boss if anything will possibly affect their pick up

My son went to school yesterday in the new bus all ok... B) he got along with his new teacher which was good... :thumbs: when he came home he was dropped off by the old bus............ :wacko:

The bus company have changed back to the one he used to be with as the other bus said it's easier now if the other company carries on doing it when they sorted out the pick ups..... :wallbash: Anyway id prefer that anyway as the driver as known my son for 2 years so knows what to expect off him and how his behaviour his so worked out quite well..... :clap:

Take care

Amanda

Edited by Amanda32