Sign in to follow this  
Sallya

Playstations and games

The kids dont have one because D went through a phase of cutting electric wires, and I was worried he wouldnt look after it. Now Im thinking about it for Christmas as he is over this phase, but is it worth it? Does it cause problems with obsessions, or is it good for co-ordination? Do you wish you had never introduced playstation or xboxes, or is it something you wouldnt be without?

xxx

Both my girls are quite balanced in their use of playstation/computer/telly.

One of the games we have means they have to work together and it is quite a good guide to how B is feeling. Good mood they really cooperate, bad and all hell breaks loose!

The only real problem we have is when they have been given a count down to come off for tea/ go out etc and they are in the middle of a stage, winning and can't save the game at that point. If they respond positively, ask nicely and there is no urgency I usually let them complete and save but if a meltdown starts the minute I say turn off, it gets turned off and they get time out.

B likes the challenge of discovering the answers and getting the game to do what she wants. She also hates the games not doing what she wants! Of course this means they are faulty :lol: Again I monitor the signs of meltdown verses frustration and take action appropriately.

Sallya

I am not sure our household would function without playstations, nintendo's PC's and the rest!

The way I look at it is the outside world is hard enough for children on the spectrum, and it gives them somewhere to escape to. Our two eldest boys (5 and 7) are on the spectrum, and multi-player gaming with each other is one of their favourite things.

If you are worried about D not looking after his console, the short term answer is don't buy a new one. Most of what we have is second hand, a Nintendo 64 with a decent selection of games and a second controller will cost you no more than 30-40 pounds on ebay, the cartridges and the console seem almost indestructable (CD's getting scratched is a big problem in our house) and an additional bonus is that Nintendos are especially good for imaginative child-friendly games. A Playstation one and a few games would be even cheaper.

If he looks after it you can buy him something newer, and if he doesn't you can replace the leads and sell it on for most of what you paid.

Give me a shout if you want any pointers.

Simon

My lad has ALL the latests gameboys and Nintendo's but when he hits a hard bit he snaps them in half, he's currently on his 4th Nintendo DS this year, (at 100 quid a time!), I'm considering contacting Nintendo to point out how easy they are to break (Not that they're bothered !). He now wants the new PS2 (Out tomorrow ?), another 200 quid up the swannee in 2 months !

If my son damaged his he knows it will not be replaced, he's learn't that before. He does start to threaten to damage it but never goes as far to.

Gameboys are our lifeline really, they go everywhere with us. I found when he was given his gaming things which we started with a second hand Playstation 1 for him we set out the rules on when and how he played on it, and he's been fine

In the house we now have 2 PS1's, PS2, Megadrive and a Saturn aswell as 4 Gameboys (SP and advance) 2 types of plug in games,dance mat which has games on and the 3 PCs and a laptop :hypno: bit too much really but his Dad is gaming mad. Mikey prefers his plug in game (has 100 games in 1 built into controller) and his Gameboys, he's only allowed on the PS2 with his Dad, his PC is in his room but he doesn't go on it too often.

Sometimes he will have a small meltdown when we say time for it to go off, but he knows after the first time he did it he'll be stopped from using it if the meltdown escalates, he doesn't like risking that. I agree it gives them somewhere to escape to, also something to use as a bargaining tool for some parents, he wins extra time on it by being good and gets games as his rewards sometimes.

Edited by lil_me

I had a PlayStation but I got an obsession with just one game - Duke Nukem. The original first person shoot-em-up one. I spent hours and hours and hours on it until I had completed every level. Then I sold my PlayStation.

A couple of examples of what I was talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-PSone-18-games-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/N64-console-expansio...1QQcmdZViewItem

lil-Me,

Our house has four desktop PC's , two Nindento 64's a PS1, a PS2, two laptops, assorted Gameboys and a Dreamcast (Was two Dreamcasts until one of the TV's fell on it!), so I suspect your husband and I have a lot in common!

Simon

:lol: Certainly sounds like it Simon, must admit I'm on the PC quite a lot but unless the games are Tetris or Dr Mario, I'm not interested. Your electricity bills are probably similar to mine. There is always something plugged in or on charge :rolleyes: Edited by lil_me

The kids dont have one because D went through a phase of cutting electric wires, and I was worried he wouldnt look after it. Now Im thinking about it for Christmas as he is over this phase, but is it worth it? Does it cause problems with obsessions, or is it good for co-ordination? Do you wish you had never introduced playstation or xboxes, or is it  something you wouldnt be without?

xxx

Sallya,people don't have to be autistic to get an obsession with gaming :D-I know a lot of NT gamers who are "hardcore gamers",they're completely obsessed with games and will play online all day.

Gaming is known to help with coordination and with problem solving skills.

It's also a form of reality escaping-all focus is lost on what is around,instead focus is just on the game-it's calming.

You could get a second hand playstation 2 for not much more than a new playstation 1,

there's a lot more choice-including DVD,online play(providing you have broadband) and backwards compatibility/plays ps1 games as well as ps2 games-get it import chipped and there's even more choice. :D

The critics of gaming,who say it's violent and makes people kill are completely biased and shouldn't be listened to as they are basing their opinions on adult only games-which by law they shouldn't be buying their underage kids BBFC rated games,neither should they condone the use of them in their house.

PEGI (ELSPA on old games) ratings also shouldn't be ignored although they aren't compulsory like BBFC.

So yeah,update the console collection :D it will be worth it,although I am being biased about this.

I'm also about to update my collection to-with a sony PSP,trying to keep back temptation till the 15th of september when SONY release the white PSP in Japan-it's dearer than the black psp in Japan,but it's still cheaper than the black PSP in the UK and that is with customs tax and VAT paid,plus with a game.

and a Dreamcast

Do you have Shenmue?

Edited by TuX

Tux wrote:

Do you have Shenmue?

Both 1 and 2! Still think they looks better than many games that come out today, especially on a 21" monitor using a VGA adaptor!

Simon

Tux wrote:

Do you have Shenmue?

Both 1 and 2! Still think they looks better than many games that come out today, especially on a 21" monitor using a VGA adaptor!

Simon

Sheer luck,Mossgrove :DB) -how did you get your shenmue 2 copy?

(eg,bought it when it originally came out,ebay..?)

I remember it often going for well above �70 on ebay!

And definately agreed on it's quality-it was highly advanced and deserved a much bigger fanbase,so many people are okay with paying �35-�40 for the same old fifa update every year but don't care about original games like Shenmue.

I used to think SEGA should have released it on the ps2,but after seeing the frame rate stuttering with the moderately graphically enhanced-GTA:San Andreas,I think it'd be an insult to Shenmue.

Do you think it should have been fully multi format(apart from dc+xbox)?

Edited by TuX

Bought on ebay last year for about �20 with the postage. It does go for a of of money sometimes but is available at a reasonable price if you are prepared to wait.

It did come out on the XBOX after Sony stopped development of the Dreamcast. As a part of the deal Sony were not allowed to release it on any other format in the US which is why it was never released in the US and there are Americans prepared to pay a premium for imported versions.

Simon

well my son adores his ps2, but sying that he will leave it for other things hes interested in, so its a balance in our house. B)

I'm considering contacting Nintendo to point out how easy they are to break (Not that they're bothered !).

I wrote to them when J broke his Gameboy after 14 months - they said send it back and we'll let you know how much it costs to repair. They rang up two days later, said it was a fault and sent a brand new Gameboy by return of post!

B)

I must point out the next message was dictated to me by my husband - who deosnt think too many games are enough...........

"Not at all excessive, - we have a network of five pc's, spanning two storeys, A 64, A PS1. A PS2, A gamecube, two gameboys ( old) and a gameboy SP, an eye-toy, A dancemat, A light gun, A neogeo and a book shelf filled with games, "

( he dictated with pride)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

there both techno mad -

dad also bought for son ( and him) - knex rollercoaster - (because dad always wanted one) - scalectrix - (because dad always wanted one) - remote controlled cars - (because dad always wanted one) - getting a picture here..... though the jury's still out as to wether dad is Aspie too?

Have to agree though - Game boy has been a godsend - we went camping - and without it we would have had a fight on our hands. - he sat in the hammock and played on it for a few hours each day when he got bored

Edited by raelien