Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Clutter aversion v 4 chaotic kids

I have this thing about clutter. I can cope with some untidiness but have to have at least somewhere clutter free or I start to feel like I am drowning and I really can't cope with it. On worst days I have had panic attacks.

On the other hand, my kids dump evrything on the floor. Their bedrooms look like something out of the Life of Grime and so does everywhere else in the house when they have been there.

How a child getting a wash in the morning, if I can get one of them in there, can turn the bathroom into a complete bombsite with towels, toothpaste, the contents of washbags etc strwn all over the floor in 5 minutes is beyond me.

I am told that they cannot follow instuctions or stay on task because of a lack of sequencing ability. If I followed them around all day reminding them where things go, it would probably work, but there is 4 of them and only one of me!

Some mornings, I decide, as i did today, to tackle dd11's bedroom while she is at dance class. I have gone up there all positive to find I cannot get in through the door for boxes and there is no floor space whatsoever. Ds12 shouted me to fix his computer. I crawled under his desk to take a look, banged my head, shouted at everyone and have withdrawn in here to look at a 'tidy screen' as a solace. Even our bedroom is full of clutter due to decorating. :crying:

Hi Shona.

I can totally sympathise with you here. I have four kids too and all seem to lack the ability to put things away. It drives me insane having to look at it all day and trying to tidy up just seems imposible, there is so much stuff. We have thought about moving to a bigger house so we can spread it out further :lol: but having no money that is out.

My hubby has this amazing ability to tidy everything up but on closer inspection it is just stacked in neat piles around the house. I can spend hours sorting toys into the right boxes and hubby just dumps stray toys anywhere as long as it's not where it was.

How much does it cost to hire a bulldozer :lol: I think thats the only solution sometimes.

If you find a solution let me know PLEASE.

Viper.

Hi Shona,

I can empathise with you, as i'm sure many others can too.

I only have one messy child, so i don't know how i'd cope with 4 :( . I don't like clutter either and it makes me feel physically ill.

My counsellor told me i should not worry about mess, but i just can't help it. I think it's herediatary because my mum is a major tidy freak too!

One thing i have done, is go to one of those pound shops and buy a load of plastic storage boxes. It makes tidying so much easier for me and Kai too. Once all the toys/junk etc are in the boxes, i put the lids on and feel much happier! Everything looks much neater.

Have you tried a reward system for your kids to encourage them to tidy up? I must admit i tried it and failed with Kai, but i think it was due to his age. I'll definately try it again.

All the best,

Loulou x

Hi Shona,

I am exactly the same - I absolutely hate clutter (totally opposite from my mum and sister who wouldn't know a hoover and duster if they fell over one).

I have got to admit, it is probably the one thing that gets me screaming my head off and getting the kids sent to bed early coz I just can't stand it.

Sam

x

When the kids were little, the storage boxes were fine. I didn't really mind if their toys were mixed up. Problem is now with school books, pens, PE kits, dance things, shoes etc etc.

I have lost count how many times the kids have been running around screaming because they only have one shoe. But can I get them to put their shoes away? No.

My husband built a special shoe cupboard into the kitchen. I drew shapes round the shoes which say 'Tom's shoes' etc. I thought this would be easy for tehm, but it's permanantly empty.

You'd think a few detentions for lost homework would help, but that doesn't work either.

Hi Shona

What about a chore list for each day and then if they do all the chores then watch tv/playstation or whatever they like to do. You could make this a pictorial thing with a method of ticking off things as they are done.

I have labels on drawers and plastic storage boxes, but my son still puts things in the wrong box. I have found that when he is really stressed, there is absolute chaos in his bedroom and telling him to tidy up doesn't work as he doesn't know where to start or what 'tidy up' really means in my eyes.

I do go in and help and he seems to appreciate this and we can discuss then, the positives of keeping things in order.

I can not work in chaos and although my house is chaotic, I am organised and methodical in my work and in my presentation of what I have done - I have always said it is my old man who is on the spectrum but as I am typing this, I am wondering if it is me :hypno:

Best wishes

helenL

I have three children - only one of whom has inherited my "tidy" genes!

My son's school has a room challenge - if their room is tidy on a Friday night, they get points towards a house-base treat.

My rule at home, is that their rooms should be tidy on a Friday night, so I can hoover in there.

I also have a box at the bottom of the stairs, so if they leave stuff downstairs it goes in the box, to be tidied away once a week. (If it gets too bad, I threaten to put it all in the bin!).

One of my AS sons needs to be told - put away the Lego, put away the games, put away --- etc - cos if you say "tidy up" he does not know where to start.

Karen