Sign in to follow this  
baileyj

Max's first day in Reception Class

Max had his first day today in Reception, his LSA was at the door to greet him, and he went in happily, we went home feeling better cus he seemed happy.

Fetched him at 12:00, he burst into tears when he saw us (he used to do this in nursery too), cried big ploppy tears, more than normal. Think cus it was such a big change for him, even though we had prepared as much as we could, and he has been with his LSA for a year, cus he can't explain why he feels such a way, just that he is sad. I don't know what to think, hopefully just first day upsets, and he will settle and calm down.

But oh it upset me, I feel very worried, today was only for 2.5 hours, in 3 weeks its up to 6 hours, I feel such a rotter sending him, but once he settles he should be OK....I hope.

Feeling very uptight and wish it wasn't like this.

Jo

Well it got worse, as the day wore on, lots of meltdowns, he's so touchy at everything. I just kept trying to calm him down, and cuddle him.

This morning, he just kept saying "I feel sad, you made me sad Mommy, you make me poorly", oh I felt so bad for him, but I kept up the smiles, and said he would be OK at school, and Julie would take care of him. He was curled up in his bedroom, me trying to put his shoes on. Then Kev came in with his fleece jacket, he saw it smiled, put it on, and said "i happy now". Off they went to school, me to work, apparently Max was very nervous going in, Julie got him playing straight away. Her and Kev had chat, Kev explained all that had gone on. Julie going to work hard to reduce Max's anxiety levels, shes got picture timetables ready so she can pre-warn him on everything, and made clocks so he can see the time gone and whats left, and we'll see what happens.

I feel like cr*p, I wish I didn't have to make my little boy feel this way, its horrid horrid. I feel like the wicked witch of the north and just want to cry. But I can't I'm sitting here at work, holding it together, waiting for Kevs phone call to say how Max has been.

I hope Max has had a better time at school this morning, I was in your shoes this time last year. I remember the first two weeks I just kept bursting into tears.Things got better as he settled in, I hope this happens for Max too,

wac

P.S. do you think max might be feeling 'not happy' rather than sad about school ?