Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Makaton

Does anyone use Makaton and how successful do you find it? I did the training last week and am starting to use basic signs with Logan (2) and it does seem to be helping his understanding. I wondered what everyone else thought.

Lynne

Rh used makaton when younger and it did help his comprehension.He's dropped it now because he's fluent in speech.Trouble is,I never learned enough signs to make comprehensive use of it.

I found that the signs that he did use lessened frustrations.xx

hi, we still use makaton, my son is fluent in speech but his understanding is poor, and using makaton helps alot, particuarly when he is stressed and he cannot focus!!! he also uses it when he cannot make himself understood, he has word finding difficulties and often finds these movements easier.

school dont use it with him though, apart from when they have the makaton drive which comes around in phases!!!!!

Guest flutter

my duaghter was taught it at infants,

i learned a bit for work, and we both still use a bit, i think it could be useful, but would suggest a course in it

tc

C x

We use Makaton in our class for children with autism and severe learning difficulties. It is very useful for our non-verbal pupils, helps them to make their needs known. The most used signs are food related ones, toilet, please and help. One of our pupils is fluent in Makaton and can have sophisticated conversations using this method. The only drawback is that many people do not understand the signs.

To be able to use Makaton and remember the signs, you need to be in an environment where it is used regularly. We have yearly training but the staff who are not with non-verbal children soon forget all but the most basic signs.