Sign in to follow this  
lisann

Job from home

Hi All

Can anyone help me my son starts full time school next week and I want a job but it must be working form home can anyone point me in the right direction please???

:unsure:

Don't know if this will help - but when my son was still little and at home all day, i searched everywhere for something i could do from home. The 'filling envelope' thing really didn't appeal.

In the end my friend put me in touch with a lady who runs an ironing service, she drops the clothes to you, comes back in two days to collect them. It can be a bit of a mind numbing job - but once you get going its ok, plus you can do it any time you feel and will fit round your children. Another bonus is if you look around, some companies offer you up to �7 an hour.

xx

Maybe not helpful, but I work from home as an editor and proofreader. Much of it arrives by email or post. It can get a bit isolated, and you might prefer something that's mostly home-based but does get you out a bit. I know there is training available from SFEP, the society for Freelance Editors & Proofreaders, but it might be expensive.

I also know people who do bookkeeping, accounts or payrolls from home for things like local playgroups, and our local school does evening classes in that (not my kind of thing though!). Is there anything you could teach -- French conversation, computer skills for the local silver-surfers, beginners' piano, wrestling...? Start-up costs would probably just be a postcard in a few shop windows. Watch the house insurance, though -- my work counts as 'clerical', which is OK, but you do need to inform them. Good luck!

I have worked from home for many years, and when I resigned from my last home-based job I too was wondering 'what now?'. The only way I can work is from home, due to being a single parent of 3 including one with AS, and in the end I started up my own business. It is not making a fortune, as I am not putting enough time into it to really make it work, but it makes me feel a bit more important, adds to my own social contacts and allows me to claim working families tax credit etc which is better than being on income support. And if I do manage to get it going properly, it will make money in the long run and then I could employ my own AS son so he can manage to get a job and feel important too.

I'm another one that runs my own business from home, I make childrens clothes etc. Can you get out in the evenings at all to do party plan? Body Shop or Virgin Vie etc?

Lynne

telecommuting? Is that what all those sales people do ringing us from Bombay all the time? Loads of big companies (like high street banks and phone companies and and and) have got those big set-ups in Bombay from where they do both those tele-sales we get all the time and also customer services etc. If that is what you mean, then it has simply moved to where labour is a lot cheaper and the workers have few rights...

Has anyone ever seen the ads for the rude phone chatlines - they have pictures of ladies with thin legs, big boobs and all gussied up in their chatline finery - I saw a documentary and the reality was a lady wearing a trackie and fluffy slippers who looked like she enjoyed her chips and donuts and she was having this 'conversation' :rolleyes: whilst knitting :lol:

I thought I would pee myself laughing at the scene. But it is a job and someone has to do it and I did think to myself - she doesn't have to trudge on buses or arrange child care.

I am not suggesting this to anyone as a job - just saying how funny I found the documentary.

Best wishes

Helen

LOL Helen

I worked on a phoneline doing tarot card readings for a bit to bring in some extra cash but to be honest I hated it. I taught myself to "read" the cards when I was a student, years ago and it was my party piece but I don't really believe in it myself! I'm just quite a good judge of character. Some of the people phoning clearly needed medical help and I felt others could make bad decisions based on things I'd said. Paid quite well tho'

Think you'd have to have quite a strong stomach for the adult chat lines too :lol: