Sign in to follow this  
bid

Tribunal

Hi all,

If you decide to go to Tribunal, does anyone know whether a child who is over 16 can apply for legal aid in their own right to pay for any SEN solicitor/barrister?

Many thanks.

Bid :wacko:

Just thinking ahead if the funding for the special college runs into problems.

Hi Bid,

A friend of mine managed to get legal aid for her son - as a person in his own right, he was 13 yrs old at the time, but this was leading up to a judicial review case not a tribunal.

You could contact The Community Legal Service: http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/directory/categories.jsp?lang=en, who should be able to give you an answer.

Re. a child claiming legal aid as a person in their own right: I'm not sure but I think a minor's savings is taken into account where legal aid is concerned, you'd have to check this out.

Do you have legal expense cover on your household insurance as you may be able to make a claim for financial help. This is one question that my solicitor asked me before we appealed to the tribunal.

does anyone know whether legal aid covers representation at tribunal by a solicitor? whether as child claiming in their own right or parent?

Eddie,

I haven't been to a tribunal so I can't answer your question, but it may be worth your while looking into:

The Disability Law Service: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/26739429/

and also http://www.barprobono.org.uk/navigate/home.html

Eddie,

Are you a member of a union? If you are then you may be able to claim financial help through your union. Ask your union rep for more information.

>>does anyone know whether legal aid covers representation at tribunal by a solicitor?

I don't think it does. From what I recall people telling me, you can get help preparing for the Tribunal on Legal Aid, but not actually representaton at the Tribunal - don't know why though.

Karen

thanks for the links!!!! will check them out. i'm not in a union, my solicitor is fantastic and has done a great job, i am sure he will prepare a good case for tribunal, but i guess i feel i will need representation, cos i will fall to pieces!!!!