Sign in to follow this  
wishingwell

Transferring to a post primary school

:unsure::tearful:

Received my transfer to post-primary school letter today. It outlines that transport will only be provided to the nearest suitable type of school local high school mainstream. I have spent time and had found one in the next town, but the board says he will have to get public transport. They will not provide transport. Do I have to except the school they have choosen or lose my transport provision which my son has had for 6 years. He has aspergers, a full statement and is currently travelling to and from in a taxi provided by the board. Also the board informed me if my son was to go to the grammer school, a taxi would be provided to take him to the next town?

Ask for a copy of your LEA's SEN specific transport policy - they must have one. This is pretty much a standard letter - though what they are saying is correct. However under certain circumstances other rules can apply (so 'could' common sense!). There are a few threads on the board about 'Transport' I have put links on them to the DfES website regarding SEN transport. Have a look at the links and get that policy from your LEA.

If both schools can meet his needs then yes, they only have a duty to provide transport to nearest appropriate school. However, if you can show that the nearer one cannot meet all his needs, and the other one can, and they agree to name your preferred school, you should get transport (though sometimes they say they think both schools can meet your sons needs, so they will agree to name your preferred school, but you will have to provide transport - they did that with me).

Even if you do get transport, it may not be a taxi - it could be a minibus collecting several children.

Karen