Sign in to follow this  
1210donna

Obsessive-Compulsive personality isn't OCD

We all have personality traits and so we are all different.

I'm madly compulsively arty

I'm equally as sompulsively solitary.

I'm pretty conscientious and have my obsessive benders and phases.

But I've also struggled with OCD.

The obsessive/compulsive behaviours of OCD are never fun, enjoyable or part of my sense of self.

They are fleas and annoying and inhibiting and eat up the time I'd like to spend on voluntary things.

Nobody wants medication for obsessive compulsive personality traits.

A lot of people with OCD want this impulse control disorder off their back so they can do compulsive and obsessive things they HAVE chosen to do.

The sooner we know one condition from the other, the sooner we understand who does and does not suffer from obsessions and compulsions, why and how to help or not help accordingly.

Warmly,

Donna Williams *)

autistic author of 8 books in the field of autism.

I couldn't agree more with this, I think it's absolutely correct.

What I think it actually is, is an inherent strength that just isn't understood by yet by developmental experts, so there is no model for teaching a person to develop this strength. Like knowing inherently how to ride a bike but not being able to steer it or stop. I've read that young babies instinctively know how to grab things, but they have to learn how to let go afterwards, they only manage it at first by accident.

For Autistics and OC personalities, I think attention-switching should be studied and taught.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

It's a bit of a standing joke amongst my family and friends that I must be 'a bit OCD', because of the way I am :o

BUT, I like doing the things I do, they make me feel relaxed and enhance my life.

I've always thought that 'true' OCD is traumatic in it's impact and the restrictions it places upon people.

Thank you Donna for clearly defining the difference, and I like the term 'OCD personality'.

Bid :)

Many children when first learning to ride a bike can find it very traumatic if they manage to get going but don't know how to stop or steer. I hate bikes!

My daughter has both conditions that you describe, Donna. I know that there are some compulsive behaviours she would like to be rid of as they restrict her life. For example, she loves reading but has to touch a page in a certain way or go back and read certain words again, and this interferes with her enjoyment. She is currently on medication which is supposed to help with the OCD, but we would never want to interfere with any behaviour that makes her happy - we accept that some of her obsessions are part and parcel of who she is.