Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Ear Defenders

My 5 year old is really into carwashes, but he has only actually been in the carwash twice, he finds the noise unbearable.

Today we persuaded him to wear his ear defenders ( he'll normally only wear them at school ) What a difference, he absolutely loved going in the carwash, he was transfixed. Last time we tried he was distraught.

Now he has worn them out of school, I can see him using them in lots of situations (aeroplanes are the first thing that comes to mind !)

A sort of perverse plus to this, is that I can see other people viewing him in a different light when he's got them on.

Has anyone found this to be the case ?

wac

Hi Wac,

For a while my son used earplugs when we went to the supermarket, he could not stand the sounds of the chillers or the beeping of the tills, he would immediately stim, humming, flapping, jumping from one foot to the other, as soon as he put his earplugs in he stopped :blink: it was quite unbelievable. Luckily our supermarket has had a re-fit and have new chillers and tills that he doesn't mind the sound of. ;)

Brook

When I use to work night shift (many moons ago) I used to use some wax ear plugs from Boots called Muffles. I used to cut them in half and then mould them to each ear. Worked really well. If they still do them and you can persuade him to wear them they are a bit more discreet then the 'over-the-ear' type.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I haven't dared try ear plugs cos my son will put things in his mouth. Thinking about it, we were watching Auntie Mabel the other day and someone in a factory was wearing earolugs that were on a cord. These may be a solution.

'earolugs' ! , I mean earplugs !!

He does seem to like the closed off type headphones though, perhaps he likes his ears being fully enclosed. His are bright red (not his ears !) so not exactly discreet. He's not at that stage where he is bothered about looking different.

I'm thinking that we might now be able to go on a train :D

wac

Hmm...I don't think the Boots one's are edible! :hypno: How about using 'Headphones' instead? You could even lpay soothing music.Or, you could add an audio lead to the ones he has now and pass them off that way.

Now he has worn them out of school, I can see him using them in lots of situations (aeroplanes are the first thing that comes to mind !)

A sort of perverse plus to this, is that I can see other people viewing him in a different light when he's got them on.

Has anyone found this to be the case ?

We used these both at the dentist and on airplanes.

J hates the light at the dentist so we have a pair of sunglasses and now he has the ear defenders on top he looks really B) in the chair! But it means he can have his teeth filled etc - (Having 5 out next Monday though :(:( )

The first time we flew with J he sat between us and he had his hands over his ears, his dad's hands on top of those and mine on top of his dad's! Much better with ear defenders. Also we ask for seats well away from the noise - most airlines have a 'special needs' number you can ring and ask.

Waccoe,

Now it's getting colder, can you cover them in fur and pass them off as ear muffs? :)

I've used the squashy foam earplugs for my daughter. She doesn't need them so much now but they are useful for the occasional walk down a busy road. She hates cars hooting suddenly, sirens (who wouldn't?) and the beeping of pedestrian crossings. With earplugs these sounds are dampened down to a tolerable level.

Earplugs....do any of your children have difficulty with extreme loss of self-awareness with ear plugs in? not know whether they are breathing okay?

I get very overloaded with noises and have tried using earplugs,but find I get out of breath because I don't realise how i'm breathing..if that makes any sense.

I'm wondering whether this is a common problem,I have asked my sister(NT) who wears them but she has no problem with them at all.

Edited by TuX