Sign in to follow this  
Nezona

council tax benefit - please help

Hiya there,

The council have been giving me the run around and are now threatning court action as I was unemployed for a while but then found employlment, but I am sure we are still entitled to council tax benefit, as my son gets higher rate dla, my wife gets carers allowance...etc.etc...

I have looked on the web but it seems to have conflicting answers, I want to make sure I know what I am talking about before I ring them, could anyone advise??

regards

Neil

PS I am now unemployed again, so I dont see it being a problem (between jobs not leeching)...this is my first day off work and as you can all probably appreciate, working full-time, working long shifts, and having a 1 hour and 30 minute bus ride there 1 1/2 back, and a autistic son, takes a toll..im just taking a breather this week..should be out of work for too long.

Sorry for this last rant but like I said dont want anyone thinking im leeching

Hi Nezona,

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but, I know you have to inform the council of any change in your income be it an increase or decrease, so they can work out what you are entitled to.

Brook

Hello Neil,

Can I suggest you take a look at www.yourable.com. They were a great source of help and information during my recent tussle with my local council over something called Carers Disregard. It is a little known discount for carers of adults over 18 (not spouses) and my local council denied that it even existed.

Good luck

I don't think dla is counted in any way, and I think Carers Allowance is counted as income. CAB should be able to check it for you.

Can you tell us more about the Carers Disregard lorry, please?

Karen

Hello Karen,

The Carers Disregard is a little known discount. Apparently only 50% of councils are aware of it. My own local council has been dreadful and it has taken over 6 months to even acknowledge it exists. I was ignored, quoted incorrect information and then ignored again.

The discount is available under statutory instrument 552/92- Council Tax (additional provision for Discount Regard) regulations 1992.

The person being cared for must be:

Receiving higher rate DLA care component or Attendance Allowance

looked after for a minimum of 35 hours by one carer.

Over 18

Not the carers spouse or partner

Living in the same household

More than one person can claim Carers Discount, since there are 168 hours a week theoretically four people could claim.

It can be backdated to April 1993.

If you feel you are entitled to claim be persistent and dont be fobbed off. I was shocked at the rude and off hand manner I was dealt with but I stuck to my guns. I think they just hoped Id give up and go away!

Loraine

It is difficult to comment on an individual case but some rates of DLA, and sometimes carers allowance can increase what you are entitled to when it comes to council tax and housing benefit. But carers allowance is a taxable income and taken into account when claiming. If you are in receipt of JSA or IS its much easier as its usually a direct yes you are entitled to it.

Each council office will usually have a benefits advisor and citizens advice may be able to help aswell as the local carers network.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/c...tax_benefit.asp

^^ about council tax benefit and how to work out entitlement

Info on how carers allowance affects other benefits http://www.direct.gov.uk/CaringForSomeone/...2529&chk=vd7MQU

Edited by lil_me