Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

First Parents'night on Wed

Hello

My son went to school in August. It is his first parent's night on Wed - em not sure how it is going to go.................

He has been struggling a bit settling into his school - in his nurseries he was used to 1-2-1 but now he is in a small group of 5. Teacher has amended his timetable a bit to see if this will help him - i think it is..............

Still dreading Wed a bit. Used to go to his review meetings and I found them really hard to deal with at times................. :(

Forbsay

If you have concerns, you can ask for a proper meeting with the class teacher, that is, something more than the 10 minutes or so these evening consultations often seem to run to. You could even ask for regular meetings of half an hour or so. Does your child have an IEP? You should be invited to discuss it or review it - parents are often asked to sign them. And you could also take a clear-headed friend with you to remind you afterwards what was said.

Hi BusyLizzie

He had one when he was at nursery -will this be something that the school will discuss with me?

Will see how Wed goes and then take it from there.

Hi Forbsay,

I've always found ten minutes was nowhere near enough time to discuss Martin (aged 9).

Suggest you go to the parent's evening, have a quick chat about any concerns and ask if you could have a longer meeting with the teacher after school on a less fraught day. That way the teacher can focus her mind on your child rather than 30 kids and you could discuss his IEP in detail too.

I don't bother with parent's evening at all for Martin now, just arrange meetings either when teacher needs them or we need them. She writes little notes to me in his twin sister's jotter too if she has any concerns. (NOT Martin's jotter, I'd never see them :lol: )

Which reminds me - Speech and Language Therapist was in school to see Martin last week - must find out how that went. (sorry diversion there).

Don't worry about parents' evening. The teacher will tell you the truth but it's all beneficial. If it hadn't been for parent's evening last year we would never have started Martin on the road to his dx - which he got in June this year.

By the way - high school parents' evenings are incredible - I have two in high school so far (three more to go in eventually) and they are mind-boggling events, what with the queues and the stressed-out teachers who don't know who your kid is from Adam anyway. Good social evenings though - I have loads of parent friends I only see once a year at parents' evenings :lol:

Enjoy the meeting and don't worry - my advice is if possible don't take your son because then teacher can't talk truthfully.

Daisy

Hi Daisy

Yeah, it was ok- not as bad as I thought it would be. He is starting to settle down in school. I told his teacher that I was really worried about him.......... He has difficulty re classroom setting for his work time - before at nursery he was taken into a separate room to do this but now he is finding it really hard to do his work with the other children around him. He is used to being alone (sounds a bit sad - but hey!) and he is stand offish with other children..............

But teacher says that the school that we have got him into is the best place for him so that is good. (he goes to a special school for ASD and aspergers).

We have just got to find things to motivate him ie he has got a huge fan in the classroom and a book with all his special pictures (ie fans, escalators, lifts, caravans and golf courses to name a few). Am now tring to think of other things to get motivated. And I was also wondering how i help him to try and associate with other children.............. difficult one!

Got his IEP tonight as well.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Forbsay

x