Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Obsessions and Rituals

My son has a obsession with electrical wires. He has wires (from the playstation, headphones etc) all over his floor. They are in a particular order and run through things just like real wires would run through trunking. Around this mass of wires sits all sorts of electrical items (fan,cassette player etc) all in a line. I was watching Little Angels last night and saw the little girl line up her toys before bed as a ritual. Last night my son wanted to do wiring before bed and for a peaceful five minutes I let him. When I went up later he had also lined up a collection of books also in a line. There are also lines of cars. I know he has always had obsessions but wondered if the need at night (he pleads with us to let him 'wire') is a ritual as well, particually as he is adding to it lines of items.

Would you consider this to be an ritual as well as an obsession? Any advice about the obsessions would be gratefully recieved! Should I just ignore the wires and let him get on with it when the need occurs?

I cant offer any advice on this but my son 19 does this lso he lines his magazines and books up and they have to be in the same place and the same order move them at my peril we never hear the last of it. lynn

Hi

In my opinion if he is not putting himself or anyone else in danger then let him do it.As long as you don't mind and it is in his safe enviroment, then he isn't hurting anyone and it does seem to be a typical AS ASD triat.

C likes lining his dvd and videos up and if they get moved out of there specail order he knows and has to start them all again(keeps him quite for ages Lol!!)

:)

Lisa

Edited by lisann

You may find that doing these rituals before bed relaxes him and comforts him. My son fiddles and arranges his tractors in the evening and as a way of relaxation.Also when he,s had a stressful day a little obsessional /ritual time helps him to calm down. I,m all for this type of behaviour as long as it does,nt control or interefere in his siblings lives .

Hi,

I agree that if he's not causing any danger, let him do it.

Kai has a developed a strange "car" ritual in the mornings since starting at his new school 3 weeks ago.

I have to pull up in exactly the same spot, then i have to get out the passenger side :wacko: , then we have to stand in silence, then Kai shuts the door very slowly and in a certain way. After this, he skips off into school quite happily. If the ritual is disturbed, all hell breaks lose.

I just worry that soon he'll be going in a taxi, and the poor cab driver will have to go through the ritual too :lol:

Loulou x