Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

IEP's

My son is five years old and I am struggling to understand the school system! He has not yet been diagnosed but we (and CAMHS) think he may have Aspergers. The school after a battle have agreed to treat him as if he has AS as CAMHS felt it was a possiblilty. He is in year 1 and since he entered reception i have been voicing my concerns that I feel he is not achieving what the other kids are. I was in liason with the SENCO (who incidently has recently retired) and she did a early screening test for Dyslexia. It showed he had a medium to high chance of being dyslexic. He failed in most auditory areas and hand - eye coordination. He has been referred to speech and language through my Gp as I feel he can not fully understand a sentence, he constantly asks for us to repeat ourselves because he says he doesn't understand us. His teacher insists he is doing ok in class although she said he does tell her to repeat what she has said because he doesn't understand. I feel his reading is poor, when I asked him to tell me the letters of the alphabet he still doesn't know them all. So how can he be expected to read :wallbash:

I am suprised he hasn't been put on an IEP and can't understand at what point a child would be put on one. Tomorrow is parents evening and I would like to ask about an IEP but don't feel i know enough about them. Any help please. :pray:

Have a look at the following links. You will find information on SEN procedures and information on IEP's. If you need further information or advice, please ask.

Good luck!

NAS information on SEN procedure, NAS information sheets on Education

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

SEN toolkit managing IEP?s

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=4610

Forum topic on IEP's

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=230

Based purely on what you have writen it does sound like an IEP would be appropriate. However lots of different things do (and should) get taken into account. Ask for his latest assements score for things such as reading, writing, maths etc. If they are well below the expected level for his age (say 12 months or more) there is cause for concern, if this trend appears across the board then I would expect him to be on School Action at the very least. This normally sees an IEP produced. When you have the scores (and teacher assesment too) see what sort of picture it paints.

hi- my son hasnt been diagnoised yet[and i certain it could be aspergers],but he is labelled as having global developmental delay-i also didnt know much about i e p,or the whole process you have to go through-anyway i had appointment with my sons speech therapist [who calls in mainstream school],and i asked her about it all,as i also had concerns of my son[whos 4 ,been at reception class 4 weeks now], and how he will manage reading and writing.she said he has an iep,but it needs to reveiwed as i have voiced further concerns with her about his lang skills,she told me it is a plan with targets on it that my son needs to meet-if he dont ,he gets put on another type of plan,and if thats not working,he may get a statement then[as he hasnt at mo]. :wacko:

i have found out through experiance and this wonderfull forum that if you dont ask-no one tells you anything-so dont hold back,demand to know,i find it usual now to write it down before hand,so i make sure i cover all i wanted to say[memory is awfull-but also find dealing with people hard],i can get out on paper much more that i want to say-as i find these people you have to deal with are quick to sidetrack you,and talk you down alot. :)

if your child has an IEP you have a right to see it - just ask

in fact, it is 'good practice' to give a copy to parents when it is produced - not that I've ever had this for either of my kids, Com has only been getting one a year since he went to high school, specially produced to be shown at the review and they have been pretty cr*p. I used to do it though - five copies: parents, my file, senco, child's file, LSA.

the thing with IEP targets is they are supposed to be short term achievable targets so an IEP should never be expected to last more than a term - although some of the same targets may be transferred to a new IEP if they haven't been achieved

according to the ed psych Com's currently supposed to be having one every half term but I haven't seen one yet!

must go and ask!

Zemanski

My 3 year old son (also yet to be diagnosed but probably mild ASD) has had an IEP since last June when the area SENCO came into nursery. The targets and goals were discussed with us and we were given a copy. We have an IEP review meeting in November with the nursery and other professionals involved in Adam's care.

Is your son on the schools SN register? I was under teh impression that all kids on the register need an IEP. I'm sure the answer will be somewhere in the links

Lx