Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Another dx for David

It's a bulging of the Cornea, my friends Mum has it, she can't wear normal contacts etc has to be glasses. They discussed fitting her with special lenses but she's refused so far. Hers was believed to be caused by bad hayfever and allergies aswell.

Blimey! Never ever heard of it. Must have come as one heck of a shock to you. Must say this bit:

I must say that everyone in Specs Savers were brilliant with David - who charmed the female members of staff. One of their managers also has this condition and she has never met anyone else with the condtion so she came and had a really good chat to David. Thankfully she was really positive about it

was excellent! Good for her for taking the time to come and talk to him...and I hope you as well. As we all know there is no better source of information about a condition than someone who has it or has direct knowledge of it, whatever the 'it' in question maybe. Sounds like they did a cracking job with him. I bet your worried though, the fact that you know at least one person you can talk to about this may be a huge help.

Hi Carole

I think you are very lucky that they spoted it out especialy if it is a rare condition, well done to them B) hope your son will get the right treatment soon. B)

Malika.

for my sins I am an optician

kerataconus is a condition in which the cornea becomes thin in the central area becomes irregular in shape and bulges into a cone shape. The degree of irregularity varies significantly and although the condition is considered progressive causing the cone to bulge more it often stops (although this is idiosyncratic and unpredictable).

In early stages there is an increase in myopia and astigmatism which can be corrected by spectacles. (technical problems both with the lenses and perception may be found, and they may not work well) If it progresses contact lenses are used (sometimes complex types) and a corneal graft may eventually be indicated in some cases. There may be a genetic factor in its occurance and other members of the family should be checked. One eye or two may be affected

Hi Carole,

I hope you never poked him in the eye with the three piece suite :lol:

Seriously, I am sure that it can be remedied and just as well he found our now whilst he is a young lad.

Love to you all

HelenL

there are a number of issues the optician may not be aware of in ASD - and MUST be addressed.

The first is visio spatial difficulties (often present in ASD without kerataconus. Clumsiness, hand/ eye coordination, gross and fine motor control difficulties manifesting themselves as dyspraxia). Just measuring visual acuity is not sufficient). Most opticians will be unaware of testing techniques

Vestibular interactions which affect balance should be looked at. Most unaware

Mid line effects may be altered, these may affect information processing and sequential mapping. Most unaware

In ASD children often have problems due to unequal image size /shape in each eye, this can be accentuated in this case. (Anisokonia - the optician will have a wobbler with this! It is very difficult to deal with)

Fusional reserves should be addressed. - not a routine test

If contact lenses are used the optician must take into account corneal and lid sensitivity (in ASD may be hypo or hyper - difficult to assess and not done routinely in fitting)

Sensory integration may nbe modified by lenses (hearing, touch, taste (and texture), swallowing, smell. Few have any knowledge of this at all!

Gait and posture should be addressed - optician unlikely EVER to have looked at this before.

Central and peripheral visual relationships, eye movement (in particular saccadal movement at near, fixation at non primary positions, pursuit eye movement). The optician should be able to address these fairly easily depending on cooperation

Visual and attentional fields should be addressed. - straightforward

If the optician decides to use drugs they may work erratically (trial and error is only realistic method)

hope this helps, be aware of the little knowledge of ASD in optical world, it is usually outside their remit and there is NO incentive to learn. Economically the NHS does not recognise when special tests would be beneficial within the eye test and as every optical practice in the country loses money on them, there is a disincentive to

pay for training and instruments

spend extra time and thereby lose money

Sadly this is the real world, you cannot expect anyone to do this out of altruism, incentives are the only way!

best if we speak

e mail me on IanJordan@visualdyslexia.com with your tel number

Hi Ian :)

Found your post very interesting, I found that my son (ASD DX) has various eye sight pbs not picked up by normal eye sight test, I wonder if you could give me advice but not too sure if I should start another thread???

Would you let me know??? Thanks.

Malika.

I am giving good (2hr) intro lecture on eye problems found in ASD at NEC on Nov24. If you are suspicious of your child having a visual or sensory integration problem then there will be a lot to interest you - I guarantee it. I have pitched lecture demo to be understood by parents and happy to be "collared" on day - bring chocolate biscuits to bribe me!

It is organised by desumo healthcare and there are some very interesting lecturers including Andrew Wakefield and Rosie Kessick.

Tel 0153 163 1642 for info

It is an extremely complex subject but around 80% of those with ASD have visual processing problems of various types and it is essential that parents / teachers / medics / opticians / OTs / psychologists etc recognise and can take appropriate action.

I am happy to help but it is often difficult by e mail (and I am horrible to track down!!).

I will be out of country for most of time between now and conference.

If anyone wants info send me email and will send general e book (no charge) - IanJordan@visualdyslexia.com

Please state if you require a short (30pages) or long version (150 pages)

Ian, is your work based on behavioural optometry and Vision training? My two boys have both had courses in vision therapy after assessment by an optometrist. My eldest boy, had VT earlier this year and 4 weeks in to the programme was able to ride a bike! My youngest son's reading improved after VT and he is now about to start fusion training to strengthen the skills learned in VT. They are both also undergoing sound therapy (my youngest had severe language disorder and since he started sound therapy 14 months ago his language skills have developed at a huge pace... he didn't have a right ear dominance and had problems with processing high frequency sounds - my AS son has such poor sound processing that he is almost medically deaf even though there is nothing mechanically wrong with his hearing - hopefully the sound therapy will improve this. Also my youngest son's sensitivity and distress to certain sounds has gone for severe to mild).

I have put details of this on my website (link below).

If this is what you're talking about I'd definetely be interested in your e book. I will PM you with my email addy.

Lauren

HI Ian :)

Thanks will send you an E-mail tomorrow with some details about my son, like the idea of the book but think may be I should send u a cheque for it.??

Malika