Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Nothing from the outreach service

Yesterday someone from the local autism outreach service went to the school to observe my son in the classroom to see what extra help or advice she could give to his teachers. I've been trying to find out all week what time she was going to be there so I could go down to the school and give her the benefit of my advice ;)

The thing is, I got a call from the school at the last minute saying come in now; I found out this was after the outreach lady had been there for almost 2 hours. As I suspected would be the case she'd been 'nobbled' and the 20 minute meeting I was allowed to have with her ended in me walking out of the building before I threw myself on to the floor to have a tantrum.

Her assessment from her observation of my son was 'He's having his needs met at school'.. :wallbash:

I pointed out two things : - 1) she saw him on a good day because he has a planned respite trip to his Granny for two days (ie.. two days off school today and tomorrow) which meant that he was in a great mood. and 2) He has been on antidepressants for the past 3 weeks which are beginning to work to make him less anxious.

If she'd seen him last week or the week before or the week before that she'd have had a completely different snap shot.

At this point she shrugged :o

I said... 'Is that it?'

To which she replied 'He's having his needs met and there is nothing more that needs to be done as he is ok with the present set up'..

I then asked her was it 'ok' that an 11 year old boy is on medication for school related anxiety and depression, and was it 'ok' that a bright boy has made no progress over a 2 year period within the education system and had gone from being an above average achiever to a below average achiever.

Again she shrugged. That's when I left because I was either going to commit ABH (and believe me I'm not a violent person) or have a major melt down to rival any my son could have!

Where do I go from here? If the outreach service say he's fine then who the heck is going to listen to me now?

I'm almost ready to give up the fight with these people and take him out of school. He's making no progress anyway so surely I can do just as good a job as they can (probably better).

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but it does help to type it all down!

Lauren

Lauren,

I found my biggest source of help with Education was the Medical staff that A sees. I would get the same sort of answers from the school but his Doctors were able to counteract all this. Would the Doctor who prescribed antidepressants be able to give the school written advice on ways to meet his needs or attend a meeting at the school with you. A's did and it is hard to argue with a Consultant Psychiatrist. She stopped the Deputy Head everytime he said "A is coping" and said that she didn't like hearing that word it suggested that his needs weren't being met and that he shouldn't have to cope.

When the school said he had many friends, she wrote and said "that's funny because when I asked him A was only able to name one "supportive" boy in the whole school, what's your definition of "friendship?"

His Dr should be able to explain that whilst on the surface his needs appeared to be being met in reality they weren't.

There are many examples but I think what I'm saying is try to find a supportive expert who can show the school's position to be untrue. Put your concerns about the outreach worker in writing so that you have a record of disagreement and why. Maybe ask for a follow up assessment by a different person because it would be hard to come to any overall conclusion based on one session, as you say it was a good day for various reasons.

Hope this helps in some way and I hope that you can get the help and understanding that your son needs.

Edited by Tez

>:D<<'> Lauren >:D<<'>

I agree with Tez if you can get medical back-up then this a very good avenue to pursue. If this child is having to take antidepressant to cope then his needs are most certainly NOT being met.

I also feel that just as 'one swallow does not make a summer' as my dad would say, one visit does not give an outreach team and accurate picture. Our team always make more than one visit and I would want to know well in advance of this visit and be included.

I am more than happy to write a letter for you if this would help. Just yell and give me your conerns and some background info.

Carole

Tez and Carole.... Thank you >:D<<'>

I've written a letter which I'm cc'ing to his child psychiatrist and GP and LEA!

Great advice as usual from you guys :thumbs:

Lauren