Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

"Training parents aids autistic kids' language"

Training parents aids autistic kids' language

Last Updated: 2005-10-13 15:25:44 -0400 (Reuters Health)

By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Training parents to better communicate with their autistic preschoolers can spur children's language development, according to a study of one such training program.

Though parental training courses are a growing part of managing autism spectrum disorders, there has been little evidence from clinical trials that the approach aids children's language, behavior and social skills.

"The evidence base has been very limited, so our study is a major contribution," Dr. Helen McConachie, of the University of Newcastle in the UK, told Reuters Health.

Specifically, she and her colleagues found that a program known as More Than Words helped parents build their 2-, 3- and 4-year-old children's vocabularies. The program, which was developed by Canadian doctors, teaches parents how to interact with their autistic children in a playful way-using "fun" words, games, musical speech and other tactics to aid their language development.

The findings are published in the Journal of Pediatrics.

Autism spectrum disorders refer to a group of developmental impairments that includes autism and a milder disorder called Asperger syndrome. All of the disorders involve varying degrees of impairment in communication, social interaction and behavior.

In more severe cases, children may speak very little and use single words rather than sentences. They also often have trouble reading other people's non-verbal "cues," like facial expressions, body language and tone of voice.

Parents in the current study attended a weekly, 20-hour training course that taught them to interact with their preschoolers in particular ways designed to spur language development. Parents trained together in small groups, the researchers note, which allowed them to give each other support and share experiences.

McConachie and her colleagues compared 26 parents who went through the course with another group of 25 parents who had not yet attended. Seven months into the study, children in the program had a larger vocabulary overall than those whose parents had not gone through the course.

In observations of the parents, the researchers found that those who went through training were more likely to use language-building "strategies," such as simple language, attention-grabbing words, praise and games.

Though the study was small, McConachie said it was larger than most previous studies of early interventions for autism and, unlike many studies, included a comparison group where parents had not yet received training.

That makes it more likely that the children's language gains were sparked by their parents' training, according to McConachie.

She noted that the first large-scale clinical trial of such training -- the Preschool Autism Communication Trial -- is set to get underway in the UK next year.

SOURCE: Journal of Pediatrics, September 2005.

Hey we were part of this study. Well we were part of a study being carried out by Newcastle Uni and we were visited by the team for almost two years.

I did 'More than Words' and it is the BEST thing I ever did. It taught me so much. Not just about Matthew but about David who was at the time a teenager. It gives excellent explinations for the way our child are and how they recive, process and then respond to language.

It also gives you the stages that an ASD child will go through with it's communications.

I am so thankful that we were able to take part in this.

Carole

Our SLT gave me the "More than Words" book from the Hanen Centre which I am finding very useful. I think going on some sort of trainig would be hugely beneficial though!!

Lynne

Thanks for those responses. Very useful. I may pick you brain sometime, Carole.

Well I've sent an email to our head of therapy services asking if the small amount of therapy time that we do get in school could be used in a programme like this.

Edited by call me jaded

The Book is excellent and follows the course that we did. It is a bit costly - but well worth the money. I never appear to have it these days as I have always lent it out to some. :lol:

Carole

Hi,

Doesn't the Earlybird course follow the Hanan programme ? (along with bits of ideas from other programmes ) I seem to remember the NAS getting into a spot of bother for not acknowledging Hanen (now corrected !) That said, I think it was the most useful part of the course for us.

wac

Hi

I went on the Hanen programme a few months after Matthew was diagnosed. He was diagnosed at 2.5. This programme and book are brilliant! There are really good principles for dealing with your child.

I can always remember the feeling when the lady came to video us one day for the course - it is sometimes done via video recording. I was about 8 months pregnant, dealing with Matthew being recently diagnosed with ASD and morning sickness. Lady came to house to video him. She told me the task that she wanted to do and i remember thinking he will never do that. Well, he did and I still remember this feeling today - it was priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The book has got really good ideas and is adapted for different levels of speech............. i strongly recommend it!

If anyone has any questions re this, please do not hesitate to contact me or PM me!

Elaine