Sign in to follow this  
puffin

Death threats

I?m sorry it?s a long one.

As some of you know, I live in a small rural local authority with 2 primary schools, each with one class in each year. A couple of years ago had severe problem with the school that M attended - school from hell (SFH). We tried very hard to work with the SFH, but the head was ineffectual, the teacher did not want SEN children in her classes and there was a TA mafia of elderly TAs who thought they could choose the pupils. The teacher refused to implement any of the issues on the IEP, failed to turn up to any planned meetings with the local authority?s SEN advisor and the TA?s told the ed-psych that they were deliberately not implementing the IEP to PROVE that AS children such as M did not belong in their school. There was a whole lot more but that is the gist of it.

After several months it was clear that this was not going to work out, so, on the advice of everyone, we moved M to the other school. This proved to be a good move as the head was supportive of SEN children and was prepared to set up a functioning system. However there is one major problem ? other parents have had the same problems and nearly all the SEN children in the village have ended up in one class. The class is small at just 20, but over 50% of the class are SEN and three children are statemented.

M had originally settled well in the class, but now a new girl, F, has arrived in the class with severe EBD as well as other SEN problems. F has taken an immediate dislike to M and another boy and bullies them by pulling hair, kicking, pinching, grabbing around the neck ? Part of the problem is that in some way M and F have similarities ? both like to be first etc and I think F is trying for a reaction as in the past M would lash out but she hardly does that anymore. However last week there was a serious escalation. F began to threaten M ? making death threats in extraordinary detail - about taking a kitchen knife from home and stabbing M, telling M that F dad checks the schoolbag for knives each morning (don?t know if it?s true) ? the threats were made repeatedly over several days. It?s hard to know what M feels about this as she will not discuss her feelings. But is clearly having a major effect on her, she has been reluctant to go to school, she does little work when she is at school and she has run away from school several times during the past week, hides and had one total meltdown at school and started throwing books. M is obviously stressed and has been VERY hyper at home.

The school called us to a meeting and there are taking the issue seriously but they must also take consideration to the other child?s SEN. What the head is proposing is to split the class into 2 groups (there is an extra classroom) and recruit extra staff so that each group of 10 will have one teacher and one LSA. Initially my reaction was that the small group would probably benefit M. But I?m worried about the situation at break and lunch. The other problem is whether there will be a backlash from other parents ? especially those placed in F?s group.

I wonder if anyone had any thoughts on this and what they think would be the best course of action for M?

Although I can see you concerns re:other children. Stop! The school will deal with that - thats their job. You need to worry about M. The school are taking some pretty effective steps to deal with this and, need to be applauded for doing so. If this is to work then the school also need to acknowledge the breaktime problems and act accordingly on them. If you feel you need to, point this out to them. Seems like the school is on the ball.

Edited by phasmid

Talked to school - they are working on phased breaks so that they are not all out at the same time.

M is still very hyper - I don't know what to do to calm her down - it's very difficult that she can't talk about her problems and felings. She's also done very little school work for the last few weeks -although she did go swimming with the class yesterday and that went well.

Sounds like the school are really thinking this situation through properly. They can see the problems and are dealing with them. Why can't more schools do this? Keep working with them. Hope they are as good as they sound and this is resolved to everyone satisfaction.