Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

School problems ... IEP targets

I'm sitting here reading this as I can't sleep :( and we're having problems with J's school and parent partnership ... :(

To cut a long story short:

School SENCo [trying to put this politely :whistle: ] = clueless

Husband and I have had to write SMART targets for last two years of IEPs - otherwise we get wishy washy stuff like "J will sit on the carpet with the other children" ... :shame:

The school applied for assessment in November 2004. J had an interim IEP while we waited for the result.

SENCo went off sick in June. We finally got a statement for J at the start of July. We were happy for the school to get his IEP together after the SALT had visited the school in early September, along with the ICT assessment that was to be done.

The SALT visited and things are starting to happen - the ICT assessment had to be chased and is now set for mid-November (agreed to get this June 2004!) :shame:

SENCo still off sick - new acting SENCo who admitted she knew little about SEN. :wallbash:

Notice of IEP meeting sent out beginning of October for October 20th - bit late in the day but ...

Rang parent partnership 2 1/2 weeks ago for support at meeting re IEP and targets as J's needs are complex and we have little confidence in the school being able to sort the targets out.

Left a message - no reply. :wallbash:

Husband sent email, which we know was read, a week ago - no reply :wallbash:

Finally got a person on the phone y'day - no one available for the IEP meeting ... :o

Parent partnership suggested next best thing was to ask the school for their proposed targets so that we could have a chat with them {PPS} and be clear in our own minds before the meeting. They {PPS} were of the opinion that the school should have some proposed targets for the IEP meeting rather than using the meeting to brainstorm new ones.

Spoke to LSA and acting SENCo re having a copy of these proposed targets - SENCo says they will only be rough and handwritten - I say - no problem - acting SENCo drops bombshell that she's going into hospital on Wednesday and will be off for 6 weeks... :o

J came home today with no targets - rang school - SENCo said they hadn't got any proposed targets for J to send home - that's what the meeting is for ... :wallbash:

Parent partnership back on answerphone - "someone should ring you back within an hour of leaving a message" I was told on Monday - further message left still no call at close of play Tuesday evening. :tearful::angry:

[sigh] - feel better for getting that off my chest ...

The problem is that it looks like we're on our own with no SENCo and no p/pship and I don't honestly think that D and I have the knowledge to set targets for the school - surely that's their job?

Living at Wits End and panicking at the moment ... been in tears too many times to count today

:tearful::tearful:

Take a big deep breath.

I haven't got time to check this out properly before going to work. I'll have alook later on and see what I can add to what others will have put.

I would suggest forget PPS - they sound worse than useless. Contact IPSEA. The school seem to be really dragging their feet on this. Maybe because the SENCo role is being 'covered' by a volunteer, maybe because they are at a loss(? so ask for help from the LEA?). Either way this is not acceptable.

Thanks Phasmid

I have managed to contact the family support worker for the 5-13 autism project in our area - she's not supposed to get involved in school stuff but will be coming along with us for support. She's also meeting us at home beforehand to go through J's statement and prepare us.

Still a bit :tearful: this morning ...

... still nothing from PPS :(

set an official appointment to meet with the head and his teacher

set your own targets!!!!!!!!

see:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3967

bring a dictaphone!!!!!!! say it is easier for note taking and DON'T GIVE THEM TIME TO PROTEST just keep going!!!!

stick to your guns! look, the senco will just ahnd off any of her workj to the teacher - so your best bet is to be as kind and as helpfuly to her/him as you can be.

any problems - just ask!

Thanks nvapid

I was assuming that these would be all school based skills - but I can now see how we can get the school to work on issues that we struggle with at home ...

Re the dicatphone

I asked previously to record meetings to make note taking easier - refused

I aslo asked if i could bring along a friend to take notes - refused

So - now - I take my iBook as I have all documentation in electonic form but I can also have other software running in the background - IYSWIM :rolleyes:

they cannot refuse a friend coming in to take notes, ever! that is against the law. You have a right for a friend to accompany you even in an informal setting - most especially in a formal one. If you take a friend with you again and they refuse - leave the meeting and tell them you will be advising the governing body of their uncooperativeness.

and you can record the conversations secretely but they will in themselves not be admissable as evidence. Any written notes you make from them can be asl long as you don't refer to the recordings - ever.

it is terrible how much we have to be devious for the sake of children isn't it?

What recordings? :whistle::whistle:

We do manage to make very detailed notes of our meetings ... :lol::lol:

Thanks for the advice.

The meeting wasn't too bad but took 1 and a half hours to set 4 targets - the problem was getting them to break things down into small steps ...

"J will try to pay attention" - yes how long for? in what sort of situation? in what group size?

I'll wait and see what the IEP looks like ...

Thanks again for your help and support.