Sign in to follow this  
Believer

Pyloric Stenosis

Hi. I was reading an older post, and there was a mention from Waccoe, a member here, about a connection between Asperger's and autism. I haven't heard of this.

Does anybody know anthing about it? My son had pyloric stenosis and surgery, too. I'm very interested in learning more.

I'm sorry. I misspoke. I meant to say a connection between pyloric stenosis and autism. I know Asperger's is on "the spectrum."

Does anybody know of a connection between pyloric stenosis and autism?

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Hi Believer

I would also be very interested to hear about any connection between the two as I have one son with a dx of Aspergers and another son who had the pyloric stenosis surgery (who has no speech at 2yo but appears not to have the AS traits that my other son had at this stage).

Sam

x

Hi,

back from hols, sorry for delay in replying !

I pondered whether there was a connection between asd and pyloric stenosis. When I googled the two terms I found lots of mentions of peptides and a load of stuff about nitrous oxide (this can be used as instead of surgery to cure pyloric stenosis) It's all very complicated (for me ) science stuff and it just sparked an idea cos I know that opioid peptides are connected to being gluten/casein intolerant. Sorry, I'm not being very clear here, I'd need to go back and read it all again....

It would be interesting to know if asd children have a higher incidence of pyloric stenosis, especially given that the cause is unknown.

wac

In short :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: lots of it and projectile too !

The examination room at our surgery probably needed steam cleaning after doc wanted to do a test feed. I did tell him that it would hit the wall on the other side of the room !

It usually occurs when babies are between 3 and 6 weeks, and is much more common in boys,

HTH

wac

Ahhhhhhh, projectile :sick::sick:

Yup, far too much of that going on when M was dinky. Took him to HV, she said 'all babies do it', he then was :sick: and it hit the wall behind her! He did grow out of it at around 6 months thankfully. Interesting to hear there may be a link.

Wow! It seems a few of us have pyloric stenosis as an issue. Matthew had surgery when he was only a couple weeks old.

First, the doc tried telling me he was allergic to my breast milk. Back again to always being mom's fault! :wallbash:

I better get used to it. I don't think that will ever stop. :tearful:

Oh, well.

I know two NT kids who had this - we shared a house with one when he was tiny and you could guarantee he'd do it just as supper was served.

Com never even burped, I gave up putting him over my shoulder after 3 days, it only made him cry.

Zemanski

Hi,

I'm really interested to read about the babies who weren't operated on, and grew out of pyloric stenosis. I was told by the consultant at our children's hospital that surgery was necessary because if the condition was left untreated it would be fatal. This chap couldn't believe that my eldest son hadn't had the same condition cos 'it always appears in first born sons' ( I think he had a less severe stenosis, or reflux, which he did grow out of )

I think the incidence is 1/400, also it is very similar to reflux which can continue for some time, and children can grow out of this.

It still does seem to me that we have an inexplicably large number of our asd kids who have been affected.

There must be some research going on into pyloric stenosis given that the cause is unknown ?

wac

Hi all,

Spotted your postings on Pyloric Stenosis. I had surgery for Pyloric Stenosis at 6 weeks in 1957. My weight dropped from 6lb at birth to 4lbs at 6 weeks. My condition was almost overlooked because in those days they weren't looking for Pyloric Stenosis in females.

It's interesting as my son was dx Asperger's Syndrome at 14 and know that we understand his behaviour and ways my husband often says "You do that". :huh:

Did anyone find any connection between Pyloric Stenosis and A/S?

Julieann.

My family are taking part in a DNA research into Pyloric Stenosis.

True Pyloric Stenosis can only be resolved by surgery as the :sick: is actually caused by the thickening of the muscle at the bottom of the stomach which allows the food to pass through into the gut. It normally appears between the ages of 4-6 weeks. The muscle gradually becomes so tight that it actually stops food from passing and then, everytime you feed the baby it just puts more food on top of what is already there and, as there is nowhere for it to go, the baby just then throws up.

The surgery is to clip and loosen the muscle which obviously then allows the food to pass through into the gut. Obviously with children of such a young age it is vital that surgey is carried out as soon as it is recognised as they will eventually stop receiving any food.

As far as I am aware you cannot just grow out of Pyloric stenosis AND after speaking to the research peeps, I gather that it is just an old wives tale that it only happens to males (although there is a higher percentage) and it is definitely not just the first born son or heriditory.

Sam

x

M didn't need surgery, but i'm not sure it was pyloric stenosis - it sound far more severe than just projectile vomiting. As i said, he did grow out of it.

Just to confuse the issue completely :blink: ! At nine months M has emergency surgery in London for interserception (spelling?? sorry) of the bowel. This happens when a part of the bowel becomes inflamed and closes in on itself - causing a blockage. Very scary time for us. The surgeon was very interested at the time about the vomiting M had, i remember a lot of being questions asked..

Hi,

What Sam has said interests me, I already had 2 children, a girl and a boy and no-one ever asked me if my daughter had had this condition, the docs were only interested in my eldest son.

I looked up the incidence again and found wildly differing statistics, one gave 1.5 to 4/1000, which I suppose gives a bit more leeway, but even with that figure we seem to have a higher than average number of asd kids (the incidence of asd is much greater, although again the figure varies according to who you ask !!)

We need a poll !, come back Gordie !!!

I might just have to work it out for myself...... :pray::pray:

wac

Just for info - spoke with the research peeps at Royal Free Hosp about this yesterday, and there DOES appear to be a high rate of children coming out of the woodwork who had PS and who now have AS/ASD or speech and language disorder!!

This research is nothing specifically to do with the connection between AS/ASD or SaLD and only to do with heriditory PS BUT it is interesting to know that the info is being collected for further possible research.

Sam

x

Hi Sam,

It's good to know that high incidence of PS in our kids is being noticed, we just need someone to take it up as a research topic.

Thanks for the info, it's nice to know that someone else is noticing what we have spotted here (hope that makes sense !)

wac