Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

A bit overwhelmed!

Does anyone find it all a bit overwhelming at times? I know how lucky I am in that we have a fantastic support team around us and that Logans been diagnosed at a really young age etc but there just seems to be so much going on its a bit mad!

I've just had the developmental psychologist on the phone and she's coming to meet with me next week, then we have our SLT, our physio, our head consutant, the health visitor and the social worker all come out to work with Logan and give me work to do with him. I really appreciate that not a lot of people get the support that we're getting and how lucky we are to be in this position but its all a bit much at times, especially really as its all at the 'well what support can we provide' stage as opposed to actually giving any.

Also I find there's plenty for Logan, but not so much for me and I kinda (maybe selfishly) feel like I need some at the minute :-(

Ack - just having a blue day!

Lynne

PS - on the plus side we did get signed off from the medical paed today as they're happy I'm managing his constipation and medications for that on my own so at least I'm good for something!!

Hi Lynne - sounds like you're a bit down at the mo >:D<<'> to you. Yes i know how you feel sometimes it feels like our whole lives are run around my son and his 'support networks'. I'm forever having to change my shifts at work or cancelling other events to ensure my son gets to all his appts etc. And you feel if you complain you're just ungrateful and selfish because your childs needs come before everything else! :wacko: At the same time your aware if you don't tkae care of yourself you can't take care of your child properly either! It seems to me lots of well meaning professionals pay lip service to asking how you are and how you're coping etc, and we not wanting to be seen as not coping say we're ok because we know if we didn't no-one would do anything to help anyway!

Sorry not much help but do empathise, do please sometimes put yourself totally first when and if you can, you do deserve it, and I'm sure you are brilliant with Logan and you more than anyone are the person getting it together for him and holding it together for him.

Take care - luv Witsend.

P.S Hope I'm right in presuming Logan is a 'him' and not a 'her' :rolleyes:

Hi Lynne :)

The fact that you are lucky in some way doe not mean that you are not struggling :tearful: your are allowed to feel low at time just like everybody else. Try to have some relaxing time and don't feel guilty about the blues it will go and come back that is how life goes but the rotation may be somehow faster when you have ASD children. :wacko:

Do take care. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Malika.

Hi Lynne,

Can't add much really to what has already been said. But I do know how you feel. Jaden was diagnosed at 2 and I have a fantastic support network. Every professional who is involved with Jaden is fantastic and my mum :wub: is great and has him 1 night per week for me. So we are very lucky. But since the beginning of the year I have had a constant stream of people in and out of my house and I sometimes feel I eat, sleep and breathe Autism!

Make sure you try and make some time for yourself and remember that you are also Lynne and not just Logan's mum!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Denisex

Hi Lynne,

I can only agree with what everyone else is saying in that us Mums do need our own time out too, whether you're child is NT or like ours have an ASD, i would say probably even more so. Easier said than done sometimes i know....

It does seem to be that all our appointments come along all at the same time and its hard so i know how you're feeling. When Lewis was in Nursery he was having people come to the house and nursery nearly every day be it speech therapy to intensive behavioural therapy phew it was hard going (even just trying to keep the house in a relativley respectable state for our 'visitors' coming round!) But i do know that if they hadn't been around i'd be having visits every day froma phsyciatric nurse instead!!!! :hypno:

You are doing brilliantly and we all have our days when we feel down so you are definatley not alone in that!

And good news about the medical pead though! you see, you're a star! >:D<<'>

Take it easy and don't be hard on yourself :wub:

Love Kirstie.