Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Is autism hereditary in your family?

Do you recognise autistic traits in your family?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you recognise autistic traits in your family?

• No
    • Yes, me
    • Yes, my partner/ex partner
    • Siblings only
    • More than one in immediate family
    • Grandparents
    • Other relations
    • More than one in different generations
    • Lots of family members

I can't edit my poll, but I did mean it to say other than the person with a diagnosis!

Maybe it's just reading about autism, but I see autistic traits all over the place now!

It's made a lot of sense about my problems and my mothers problems with social settings whilst growing up. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Shona

Edited by Shona

We're pretty sure my hubby is AS - before we started looking into ASD for Logan though we probably wouldn't have picked up on it. Well not strictly true, as he did make a comment at one point ages ago but we brushed it off and never looked into it. TBH I haven't recognised traits in many other family members though - at least on our side :lol:.

Lynne x

I voted a lot of family members as I see traits in many people now too! :unsure:

A blood relation on my mum's side has been diagnosed with PDA. My dad is "quirky" to say the least and my son's half brother has just been diagnosed with ADHD :wacko:

All very confusing.....

Denisex

I voted more than one in different generations as there are a number of us (myself included) who have traits.

I have often wondered exactly where the line between Aspie Traits and Aspergers gets drawn.

Simon

More than one in different generations.

The more I understand about J the more I understand dh. He has several AS characteristics that I just thought were plain odd until I began to learn about the condition when J was dx'd. A common example is that he'll often assume he's answered me in conversation when in reality he's done so in his head, then gets cross with me because I know nothing about this. Many a cross word has ensued from "I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU!!" "NO YOU HAVENT'T!!" And he's lousy in social situations.

DH's dad has quite a few AS traits too. He's socially inept, often masking it with odd humour and over-compensation to the point of rudeness. His hobbies are diy and gardening, both of which are done to professional standard - he's an utter perfectionist in everything he does. But on the other hand he can't manage without his wife who does all the general mundane stuff. He wouldn't know how to pay bills for example, never carries money around with him unless he's at the diy store. Real life just passes him by.

In the early days I thought I might be a bit AS myself, but I'm not so sure now. I think if we look for the signs we'll find them, so I don't delve too deeply now in case I convince myself of something that's not really there.

Karen

x

I believe my brother to have Aspergers, my Late uncle, think my dad has a few traits, and of course both my boys,

Also on my husbands side someone who has Low functioning Autism.

So from that i would say it is hereditary.

Hugs illy

my son hasnt been dx as yet- i voted the family members-

my nephew has aspergers and tourettes,also ocd-he was only dx at 25 :o

my mums sisters-daughter-her son has downs syndrome and autism

my sons dads brother-his son has some form of autistic spectrum-not certain which as he lives abroad and i split up with there dad and didnt get to find out for certain.

my sisters daughter has dyslexia and irlam syndrome[where they need coloured lenses-sorry know this isnt on autistic spectrum,but it seems its all bit connected as we all seem to have some thing :D ] and learning probs.

i myself have had history of depression,and am dx with rapid cycling mood disorder and ocd-for which i take medication :wacko:

my other son seems ok up to now [hes 3].

have to say all this other stuff[autistic spectrum] really didnt come to light till i started looking into my sons behaviour,and when u search u find it is there in your family-or should i say u knew it was there but it tends to hit u in the face when u think your children may have it .

I,m a bit OCD, my hubby has a cousin who is definitely on the spectrum.My dad is a football obsessive control freak :wub: , love him though.

I voted 'other', my ex husband has 2 cousins, one on his mothers side, the other on his fathers. Both those cousins have sons with Aspergers syndrome. I suspect that with that factor and the fact that my daughter had a very traumatic birth made it into the severe autism that she has.

i actaully recognise one grandparent, my partner and a few nephews too!