Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Autism Manifesto One Year On

Hi Carole,

BUT and here is where I have lost the plot - the one things that this report does not mention is how all of these agencies and services providers are supposed to know about the Manifesto?

I guess I'm losing the plot as well here. Why is it necessary for all these agencies to be aware of the manifesto?

The manifesto is a parliamentary commitment for MP's to sign up to and to help focus attention on the needs of those with autism when passing acts of parliament. Yes it would mention all these other things as they meet the commitment expressed in the manifesto as it shows those who have signed up to the manifesto are doing what they have committed themselves too. As far as I can see it is an internal document put into the public arena.

Incidently I read it at http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=159&a=7417 so am not sure if I read the whole thing or an edited version.

What these agencies and service providers are supposed to know about are the relevant acts of parliament that pertain to them. Meeting the commitment for interagency cooperation would be down to the relevant authorities. After all there is nothing in it for them to act upon, at best it is an indication of the direction where the future is heading, something which should be obvious to most of them by now.

Unfortunately a lot of them have little teeth in their own rights like the Highway Code. However if you breach the Highway Code this can be used as evidence for breaking existing laws. For instance the SEN Code of Practice is just that, a code to guide schools and LEA's there is no legal obligation to follow it to the letter, however on appeal they would have to justify their actions according to the code.

A lot has been done in two years, it does surprise me with politicians that more has not been made of this by them. :devil:

Thanks Carole,

I am presently trying to find out what services have to be provided for my son. There seems to be a lot of guides and suggestions of good practise but am I correct in thinking that that nothing concrete has to be offered?

Cheers, Loraine

Hi Lorraine,

This is a second attempt to answer you I hit the reply button and I thought that it had sent but now my reply has gone :o

You are correct guidance is just that and no they do not have to actually follow the guidelines. However I have found that if you go armed with them or forward them onto the Service Providers then sometimes it does help them to raise their game? At the very least they then know that you know what they are being urged to do by the Government.

Of course we should not have to do any of this at all in my opinion, but seeing as we do it can't hurt. I really hope that eventually you get the resources that you need. And I also hope that it is sooner rather than later >:D<<'>

Carole