Sign in to follow this  
hev

social sevices

health visitor came out to due katies check and i told her about how i have trouble coping with steven,she said she would get in touch with ss for me to see if i could get respite for next school holidays,at the time i said yes but i keep thinking about it,im a bit wary of them i dont know why,i think are they going to go over my life and in the end not do anything to help anyway,i told the health visitor i pushed steven the other day and im now thinking they might think i mistreat him and i really dont,thats why i got health visitor involved cos i felt so bad about it all,i spose really i am worrying ss want to take kids away from their parents all the time,ive got to sign a form to be referred and i know it does help with a lot of things to have a social worker,what do you think?

I havnt had SS involved with my aspergers stepson, but i understand were you are coming from, we had a visit this week due to my oldest daughter having some trouble with her friends dad and we reported him to the police, so now the SS are involved, obviously we were a little shocked as our 14 year old hadnt done anything wrong, this man is 36, and was charged with grooming a minor, but all went ok, she is only assigned to us for support, ther mans daughter also has one assigned to her for protection, and is going to be sent back to her mum IF she is able to look after her, so try not to worry, i think they just have this bad reputation!!!

Hope all goes well

Michelle

Hev, >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I've just read your other posting about being bullied. I've been there, and supported other parents who have been there and I do think you need expert support and advice. CAMHS would be a good place to start. You should ask your GP for a referral. Explain the situation to him and tell him you need someone to assess the situation and give you advice.

This is not your fault and I don't think you should blame yourself. I have seen experts struggling in similar situations and they are highly trained.

I agree Social Services do have a bad reputation, but it's there job to support you and give you services if you need them. Unfortunately they usually refuse to help unless a family is in crisis. Be honest with them, tell them how they can help you.

Very few parents actually say what they want.

It might be worth phoning The Princess Royal Trust for Carers. They do vary but some of them are superb and may act as your advocate. You can find you local branch here -

http://www.carers.org/home/

This information from the NAS might help. It might be worth giving the NAS a ring.

Getting help from Social Services

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=305&a=4322

I do sympathise with your situation. Keep posting, we're listening.

Nellie >:D<<'>

He the one thing I would suggest is that when you are assigned someone from SS make sure you find out what their level of knowledge and understanding of ASD is? This is VERY important. When you have a Social Worker that understands they can open doors. When you have one that does not they can create more problems than they solve.

It's your right to ask. I might also suggest that you find any local groups who can support you. This can also be useful when you have SS on board.

Carole

Hev,

Have a look at this it gives some information on behaviour management, I hope I'm not teaching my granny how to suck eggs.

Basic guidelines for parents of children with an ASD

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=305&a=3760

Carole has given you good advice regarding the social workers expertise in ASD, it's crucial.

Nellie xx