Sign in to follow this  
fairies72

Grammar school

Hi

I was wondering if anyone else has had a child start at grammar this year.

have to say my son is already finding it extremely difficult in terms of homework , organisation etc.try to tell myself that he would still get homework at a comp and have to be organised so whats the difference.

All i know is he is very unhappy at the moment and having had quite a few bad comments written in his homework diary i dont think his esteem is too high either.

What angers me is that when he started i spoke to the senco and exchanged lots of notes on what is the best way to work with him (for their sakes as much as my sons) so far his AS doesn't seem to have been taken into account at all.I have unanswered questions in his contact book (Sorry, thought that is what they are supposed to be for!!).

He is already asking to leave and go to a different school after not much more than 2 months.I was so proud of his eleven plus results and he is a very clever kid , but now i am doubting my decision to send him there and feeling guilty at the same time.I am going in to school to speak with his form tutor to see if anything can be done unfortunately he isnt statemented.As i work in a special school i see too many poor kids that cant face secondary and come to us at that year 7 age.So i dont want to leave it to late.Any ideas or anyone else having similar problems.Id be grateful for some advice.Thanks

lisa

I would never recommend a fee paying grammar/independent/public school for someone with AS, but I'm not sure on the situation regarding grammar schools in areas with the 11+. Secondary schools in areas in areas with the 11+ are filled with kids of lower intelligence and more "chav like" than secondary schools in areas without the 11+. In other words they really are secondary moderns because the grammar schools have creamed off most of the academically able kids. Take this into account if you are planning a transfer.

It would be a good idea to get your son statemented if you can.

My son went to a grammar school. He managed two years and I now home educate. That isn't to say I don't think it can work - it just didn't for us.

Has the school got much experience of AS? The one we went to didn't and this made things very difficult.

I would agree with Canopus that it might be an idea to consider going for a statement - it helps clarify your position and focus the school on their responsibilities.

I'm sure you'll find lots of really useful advice from others here.

Keep posting.

Lisa

Based on whatnyou have said the problem isn't the fact that it is a grammar school, it is the fact that the school is clueless about AS. The $64,000 question will be, Are they willing to listen and learn?

Is there an Autism outreach team in your area that can come and visit the school and explain what they need to put in place?

It is also important that the SENCO makes everyone who will deal with your son aware of the issues involved and that any concerns you have are put in writing so that they can't be 'brushed under the carpet' later.

If there are resources that are needed that the school is unable/unwilling to supply, you may also wish to consider applying for a statutory asessment.

Simon