Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

DLA

I have read various posts about DLA and wanted more advice if possible. My son M is not diagnosed as yet. CAMHS think he has aspergers and he has been referred, his speech and language assessment shows he has a lack of understanding language (he is 5 but scored for a 3 and a half year old). We have problems with behaviour (temper tantrums) which result in me pinning him down for half an hour each time so he doesn't lash out at everyone. Is it worth applying? If he got turned down could you apply again after diagnosis? Any advice please.

Thanks

Mum22boys

yes do apply.

as per the other DLA threasd, a diagnosis is not needed.

if you get turned down, you can appeal, and there's quite a high success rate for appeals.

even if you were turned down at appeal, you can get a new form the next day and reapply.

persistance pays off :)

see

http://www.bhas.org.uk/dla/dla_child_ph_test.shtml

there's also a 5 min menal health test at the BHAS site

good luck !

-

Katya

Yes, you can and should apply!

The award/non-award of DLA is time and resource based. If it takes significantly more time to look after your child than a typically developing child than you qualify. A diagnosis is relevant supporting information, but the award is related to the time spent not the diagnosis.

As I said on the other thread, ring up for a form NOW, it will be backdated if you are succesful.

Simon

hi, i've just phoned and applied for it today,so if i were you i would go for it. I'm still waiting for dx with asperger syndrome annd my doctor seems to think ADD as well.I never know you could apply till you get dx but as i'm finding out that ,that is not the case so what have we got to loose.

Hi - yes I agree with the others apply now. You do not need a diagnosis, in fact I was suprised at how little attetntion to this is given in the application forms. The emphasis is definately on showing that your child needs more care than another child their age. You will have to back up what you say with reports from people involved with your child but the DLA people will send for these. And you can put that AS dx is suspected and assessment is ongoing prob by the time DLA get back to you, you may have a firm dx anyway. Good luck - Witsend.

We applied when my son was three. Despite no diagnosis and likely to have AS/mild ASD we were still awarded DLA care at middle rate. DLA is supposed to be awarded based upon problems and needs not diagnosis. I was really surprised when it was suggested I apply as I don't perceive my son as 'disabled' and didn't think we'd qualify. However filling the form in made me realise how much additional help he does need throughout the day, quite depressing in one way. Just because his ASD is mild/high functioning it doesn't mean he doesn't have any less valid problems or additional needs, they are just different that's all

Lx