Sign in to follow this  
LizK

George Carter

H and I were watching a documentary about him on TV last night and after the first five minutes turned to each other and said 'he's got Aspergers'. He was described as a loner and solitary, obsessive in his quest and meticulous about details, willing to go against what was accepted and look at things in a different light. Seemed happy to go against social norms and niceties upsetting people on the way without realising but also getting him to what he wanted. There were lots of other things too that fitted in like he found it hard working in large groups.

I don't know if it's just me but since learning about AS I see it or AS traits in lots of people! Like to hear about famous people with AS who have done remarkable things as it balances out a lot of the negatives you hear of or fear. Saying that poor George didn't get the recognition he deserved for making one of the biggest archaeological discoveries and sepnt his last few years of his life in solitude :( Maybe a sign of the times in the 1920s and 30s about how people who were 'different' were treated or maybe simply what he wanted and I am putting NT values onto him.

Interesting programme anyway

Liz x

Hi

I think that a lot of famous scientists had Aspergers, Einstein for one.

One of the anesthetists at our local hospital has Aspergers and she is one of the best mainly because she is constantly checking everything and always gives her profession 100%.

I find this with my son, who also has Aspergers if he becomes interested in something he will throw himself into it and block everything else out.

On the subject of great discoveries inspired by ASDs, there's a documentary on tonight at 11 (not sure which channel) which I'm hoping will add fuel to my current fantasy theory - that conscious thought, the greatest discovery of all time, was made by an autist.

There was a short series recently about the history of drawing where it was pointed out that cave painting is used as the first visible evidence of conscious thought, i.e. when humans became 'human'. It was also pointed out that one of the most impressive collections (the 'Polychrome Cave' in Mata Somethingorother (sorry, i have a problem with proper names)) were all done by one person whose obsession and attention to detail strongly implies ASD.

Add this to the fact that the first self-conscious person cannot, by definition, have been neurotypical, and it's not a long flight of fancy to "the first humans were autistic", surely? :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's just me but since learning about AS I see it or AS traits in lots of people! Like to hear about famous people with AS who have done remarkable things as it balances out a lot of the negatives you hear of or fear. Saying that poor George didn't get the recognition he deserved for making one of the biggest archaeological discoveries and sepnt his last few years of his life in solitude  Maybe a sign of the times in the 1920s and 30s about how people who were 'different' were treated or maybe simply what he wanted and I am putting NT values onto him.

I think it's more a case of coming from the wrong background. Success in life is a function of several variable including who you know and what your parents occupation is, as well as what you know and what you have achieved. I am tempted to say that such a major discovery as an intact Pharaoh's tomb would mask issues like AS or excentricty, but in the eyes of the archaeology experts with PhDs, Carter was just a very lucky amateur. If one of Carter's parents was a recognised figure in archaeology or Egyptology then things could have been very different.

Is anyone here or their kid interested in Egyptology? Schools seem to cover Egypt in their history lessons and it is probably the sort of thing that is attractive to people with AS. I have visited Egypt twice and seen most of the major antiquities. King Tut's solid gold mask is on display in the museum in Cairo.

Most people who are who buck the norm, are single-minded, are different, are all aspies ? Are we clutching straws here ? I'm singular of mind, a bit of a loner, not too comfortable with socialing etc, obsessive with detail, I'm not an aspie, I'm deaf ! (Still, if you want me to be put in the same catagory as Einstein, who am I to argue :) ) E=Mc2 ? (it was a formula for milk shake as I recall LoL).

Edited by MelowMeldrew

spooky we watched it last night and had said exactly the same. like eugene in big bro its amazing how you recognise the signs that you probably would have never have noticed .i found now i am so more tolerant of "eccentric " customers who come in the opticians where i work ,since finding out about my son

On a side note, I was fortunate to meet the presenter of the Howard Carter programme, Dan Cruickshank, in September. A jolly nice chap. I have his autograph adorning my fridge :)