Sign in to follow this  
Teaorcoffee

Piracy is a crime

Has anybody noticed in DVDs nowadays the have piracy adverts?

This is really annoying as they last for ages (or what feels like ages) and they are unskippable. Back in the VHS days we could skip by fastforwarding over the adverts but DVDs don't let you do that. So much for DVDs being greater than VHS :wacko:

lol!!

well use the time wisely!!...turn the dvd on, got to the toilet, make popcorn & drinks...then when you get back it'll be all ready to go :D

They always said the old things are the best. Digital video/TV technology is downright annoying at times. Just about every digital TV channel is blighted with on screen logos. You can never sit back an enjoy a programme without being nagged to press the red button. For some unexplainable reason the volume level of commercials on digital is about 100dB higher than the volume level of the programme although broadcasters deny it.

There are times when I think that TV was best back when we had just 4 analogue terrestrial channels to choose from and record onto magnetic tape. Did you know that the analogue switch off is also the end of NICAM, teletext, and programme delivery control? NICAM isn't necessary with digital TV and for some reason teletext and programme delivery control aren't incorporated into the digital TV protocols.

What's programme delivery control?

Does it limit the volume of ads to no less than 100dB higher than the average programme volume? :devil:

Thats called COMPRESSION...

Do you remember that talkie bit on Deep Purples 'Made in japan'...

"Yeah, we want everything louder than everything else"...

Well now you CAN. And it is *********** irritating!

(and for you Spinal fans - this amp really does go up to 11!)

:D

Another technique is to attenuate the volume level of the programme but have the commercials at normal volume. The exact volume of the programme and the commercials doesn't really matter because TVs have a olume control. What matters is the difference in volume level between the programme and the commercials.

I have noticed that most programmes on satellite and cable have a lower volume level than programmes on analogue terrestrial.

Programme delivery control? "Well, it's the amazing invention that enables you to set your video recorder to tape a programme".

The amazing part about it is that it seems to have taken 20 years to fix the problem that made VideoPlus+ (isn't that tautology? :P ) completely useless. A programme start and end code.

I never met anyone who used VP+, because who wants a recording with the start or end chopped off?

Our first 2 VP+ video recorders had built-in random number generators, so whatever number you typed in it would give a record date of at least 12 months in the future :blink: So rather than record tonight's Red Dwarf, it would record a 7-hour period starting at 2am sometime next February.

Technological progress, I'd love it!

And as to the much-vaunted "dvd's are faster than videos", I disagree. A video you put in, fast forward to the programme and play. With dvd's you have to wait 5 minutes for it to load, then another 5 as it plays you ads and piracy warnings that you can't skip, then you have to wade through menus of useless 'extras' :wallbash:

Books - now there's an 'instant' medium :devil:

Has anybody noticed in DVDs nowadays the have piracy adverts?

This is really annoying as they last for ages (or what feels like ages) and they are unskippable. Back in the VHS days we could skip by fastforwarding over the adverts but DVDs don't let you do that. So much for DVDs being greater than VHS :wacko:

Whenever we buy a DVD I always make a copy with just the film on (Menus, adverts etc removed) for two reasons

1. You can just put the film in and play it without all the cr*p preamble stuff.And I never bother with the extras.

2. Our children (the NT ones and the Autistic ones) are not good for DVDs. They always seem to end up lost or scratched, if I keep the original safe I can make another copy.

Simon

It disgusts me how much CDs and DVDs cost in Britain compared to America and I think there is no excuse for such notable price differences. No wonder there is so much piracy going on.