Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

? about dx appointment results.

My mind has been to timbucktoo and back today and probably will continue until Wednesday I know but one minute I'm fine and thinking, whatever the outcome I'll cope with it, then I'm doubting myself and wondering 'ok, maybe I got it all wrong' but then a moment later I'm remembering everything he's done in his 6yrs, his speech, social skills, etc etc and I just 'know' that I'm right and then I burst into tears wondering if they'll agree with my concerns or not!

Everything is just caotic right now and my head is screwed up and I don't know whether I'm coming or going!

Anyway, had the hospital confirmation letter in the post today with the date of next Wednesday and on it is says QUOTE 'We would also like to advise that there will be other professionals present during this consultation'. Now to me, I'm thinking, maybe they will dx him which is why so many professionals have to be there and if he wasn't being given the ASD dx, then why ask all these other people along anyway! KWIM???

Do you think I'm reading too much into it??

A little apology for the amount of questions I'm asking but I really am alone in this here and the only place I have people who truly understand is at this very forum. For that, I thank you all a million times over! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Edited by Tylers-mum

It could be as mindane as the fact that a nurse of one of the junior dctrs will be there too, or it could mean that it will be more of a multi-discipliniary meeting, or it could be that they always say that so he has the option to involve other people as appropriate.

It does seem unlikely that he would gather a group of professionals together to tell you there are no issues.

Simon

Most areas now have an assessment team. Even if they have not all seen the child the dx is made after consultation with the team. So it might just be how they do things?

Carole

Hi Tyler's-mum, i recently had to go to a meeting at the hospital for a lad. This was to confirm, finalize and write in "official language" a dx. I went as a rep from the school and for the family, There were two cps, a paed, the original paed referer, and a trainee cp as well. I think they had to say about the other person because she was a trainee cp and therefore didn't count as a professional as she wouldn't be putting forward a viewpoint.lots of people in the room! But it was very positive and calm and everybody had a chance to put forward their viewpoints. Take some one with you if you can, I always recommend it as there is so much to take in it helps to have another person there. Thinking of you, Kat

Kat, would all those professionals have attended had there not been a dx made that day?? ie, if after assessment there was no dx for the lad, would those professionals have still attended to give their views on it even though there was no dx or did you all go b/c a formal dx was being made??

My sister is coming with me thankfully! :)

'We would also like to advise that there will be other professionals present during this consultation'.

That comments on almost every appointment confirmation I get for my son, only ever been junior docs in room extra, and that was only once.

lil me - I've had loads of appointment letters and never have any said this on them! That's why my mind is in overdrive I guess! LOL

Edited by Tylers-mum

No idea then >:D<<'> Other then contacting the proffesionals who the appointment is with to ask them, all you can do is sit tight really, try not to stress yourself out (I know easier said than done)

Edited by lil_me

I wasn't told the appointment was for a Dx ......... but i knew the team had got together so had a feeling it would be.

I've had that written on an appointment before - it was a student DR!!!!!

Best idea is to call them - put your mind at rest xxx

Tylers- mum,

>:D<<'>

I don't have any advice as our experience was very different: a single very experienced professional who knew within the first five minutes of meeting my daughter that she had ASD so we didn't have to wait. (My daughter was a lot older though).

Remember as a parent you have an important contribution to make too, your views are just as valid as those of the most qualified and experienced professional who will be in that room, as you know your child best.

There's no harm in ringing up before the day and asking for a bit more information if it would make you feel better.

In the meantime try to do something you really enjoy this weekend to take your mind off it, if only for a moment.

K

im afraid i dont have any advice just wanted to send you these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> just been through same thing 2 weeks ago at assesment but just paed there and didnt tell me dx i received letter in post last saturday telling me he had PDD-NOS autistic spectrum disorder :tearful: and there was me thinking they had to call you back for the official dx not send it through the post like that i wasnt even expecting it but at least now i have some answers and you will to i am sure of that, you know your child better then anyone else i think everyone goes through the doubts before its confirmed i know i did. good luck :pray:

jayne xx

we've always just had the one consultant even for diagnosis but last time we went to camhs we had the same on our letter and it just turned out to be a psychologist doing training in ASDs

Zemanski

Sorry for late reply T-M. Busy last night so did not come on forum. The answer to your question is - I'm not sure. We were all pretty sure it would be a formal dx. School was very keen for someone to go on their behalf and for parents too for other reasons (to be on parents side) as school thought other issues might be brought up. (can't say much more, trying to be discreet!!) Take care, open the wine tonight and have a good weekend. Write down your questions before you go (I'm sure you have). Book somewhere for lunch after and don't forget to tell us what happened.love Kat

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Sending a few of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Because I know EXACTLY what you mean about that yo-yo feeling 'what if I'm right' 'what if I'm wrong'. I hope you get a useful outcome to the meeting. Try not to worry too much about the wording - sometimes typists are advised to put disclaimers on things as a standard measure, but hopefully it means the right folk will be there. Good luck.