Sign in to follow this  
witsend

stammering

Hi - couldn't think of a suitable title for this one. My 3 year old (NT) son has developed a noticable stammer, it's been going on for a couple of months now. At first i didn't think too much of it but now am getting a bit concerned. It does seem to be getting worse sometimes he can hardly get his words out at all :huh: it is always there but sometimes worse than others. I have phoned health vistor a few times but so far haven't got hold of her, I'll keep trying.

I am wondering if my little ones stammering is linked to my older sons AS. Older son often won't let younger one get a word in edgeways and is very quick to shout at him for the slightest thing :wallbash: I just think this has made the little one nervous of speaking because he knows he will get shouted down. :(

I don't think my elder son realises the effect he has on the younger one and he would be upset to think he is the cause of the problem so it's tricky trying to explain to him but I feel I have to try for the sake of the little one. :wacko:

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this and/or any experiance of stammers.

Thanks - luv Witsend.

HI :)

I had that for sometimes with H when he was aroud 4 I was not sure what to do :unsure: but thought to leave him and pretend it was not there :whistle: as I know it can be made worse if the child is anxious my worry was to make it worse in noticing it.

It did last for around 6 months and slowly started to get rarer until hardly happening at all, I still noticed it sometimes when he was 6 but not at all last year. :thumbs:

This may not be the right advice for you child but it did work for mine.

Best of luck.

Malika.

Hi Witsend,

One of my sons(NT) had a stammer at the ages 3 - 4. Nursery referred him to speech therapist who assured me that his problem was linked to the fact that his intellect was growing at a faster rate than his language development. In other words, he was having difficulty selecting the right words to express what he wanted to say because he had so many thoughts whizzing about his head! She said it was common for that age group and eventually everything would balance out.

The advise I was give was to be patient, dont finish off his sentences just give him time. Oh and don't draw attention to the problem. My son outgrew his stammer within 18 months.

Good Luck :robbie:

Thanks for your replies - from what you've said it sounds hopeful this will be a temporary thing :)

Will try not to make a big thing out of it or to worry too much but will still try and get hold of HV for speech therapy ass. by the time he get's seen it will prob all be sorted!

Thanks again - luv Witsend.

The process that most of you are describing is what therapists refer to the "Demand and Capacity" Model. The child is placing a high level of demand on their developing communication system, resulting in periods of non-fluency. The advice given so far is correct, reducing the pressure to communicate (i.e. don't finish their sentence, don't tell them to take a deep breath, don't ask them to slow down etc.

My advice to you would be to refer your child for a SLT assessment. Our dept has an open referral policy (anyone can refer) so you may not need to go via your HV.

Thanks for that slt101, still haven't had any luck getting hold of HV will try and ring SALT direct.

Luv Witsend.

Edited by witsend