Sign in to follow this  
board

writeing

do any of your children write back to front or up siad down is that part of the illness just try to make sense of things new to all this just want to know as much as i can thanks jill

those tend to be dyslexic traits which can be comorbid with (go with) an ASD.

Dot is severely dyslexic but not ASD - she does all these things at 9 but many children just learning to write do these things as part of the natural learning process.

If your child is Y2 or above and still doing these things then ask for an assessment for dyslexia

Zemanski

There is a specific condition that can cause this called dysgraphia (I think I am way off on the spelling of it though). I know only a little about it but a swift google will find plenty of links (many american ones - as ever!) for you to find out some more.

HTH

Char has only just started to write so a little in the dark with how it will go but I have noticed the few letters he can write are back to front eg.

b is more like a d

q is more like a d

c is like a n without the stick

a is an o

hmmmm :huh:

May have to ask his teacher if this is "normal" for this age and stage of writing.

Lisa x

:)

My son was dx dyslexic before he was dx ASD.He writes back to front etc.This is improving though, although his handwriting is terrible.

lisa,

this is very normal (in fact, most children do it to some extent up to about 7) when just starting and may be motor control related rather than dyslexia from your description of the mistakes, ie. half-formed letters - don't worry unless there's no improvement in the next year or so and he is also struggling with reading. to help him now try a good pen like the yoropen (they do mini pencils for early writers)

http://www.yoropen.com

or look in WHSmith

there are various thread on handwriting with ideas if pencil control is a problem

yes, dyslexia runs in families.

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

I don't know why and I don't know how I first found out but I can "mirror write" just as quick as normal writing. When you turn the paper and hold it to the light it's as neat and correct as normal writing. It absolutely amazes my partner. I remember quite often in school I'd reverse words or letters and not realise I'd done it. Although I write with my right hand, I do everything else eg. eat, play sports etc. left handed. Whatever hand I pick something up with really, it doesn't matter, I can use either. Must be something to do with how your brain works. All very strange!!!!!

Lisa

you can get stainless steel executive ones but they're 30 quid a piece :blink:

I used to write backwards, still do when I'm doodling. at school I only did it in one subject, Latin. I still have my latin books, partly because of the mirror writing, and the teacher didn't seem to have a problem with it but then he was a pretty radical old eccentric. It wasn't anxiety though as far as I'm aware - I was good at latin. But I am dyslexic.

I also taught a child who would mirror write only when we introduced a new concept in maths, she was good at maths but new concepts seemed to phase her for a lesson, she would be back to her normal left-right the next lesson.

Zemanski