Sign in to follow this  
laine

not wanting to go to school

my son is 6 and is query aspergers, i say this because it is thought he has audio processing dissorder, but is query aspergers. I am having great difficulty getting him to school. He will tell me two days before he will be ill and is usually sent home with something. When we arrive home he is fine. I know that he is finding it difficult at school and is very behind with reading writing etc, but we work at it. I was wondering is this a common trait for asd. I know this sounds like all children but he would q

uite willingly never go to school.

Hi laine

Yes what you have posted in very common in kids with AS. It all depends on how you wish to handle this. If your son is telling you that he is going to be ill and is then sent home then you could tell the school this. They cannot continue to send him home when it is clear that he is making his illness up to be sent home from school.

However as a Mum that home educates then I believe that school can really make some of our children ill. It did with my youngest he developed Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome, which can be stress related. I also believe that often our childreb can simply not cope with a full week in school.

I do know parents who have managed to get round this by insisting that school only responds when a child is really ill. But can you always be sure? It's a difficult nut to crack.

Carole

Hi Laine,

Welcome >:D<<'>

Maybe you could go in and speak to the school, tell them what has been happening

when he gets home he is fine.

Try and find out if something in particular is affecting him.

Does he have support at school?

As you say it sounds like he is finding it difficult to cope, so obviously is finding any excuse not to go and stay in the safety of home.

My son was in mainstream, but it did not work for him, he had a near breakdown, I

would strongly suggest that you try and liase with the school about this.

Take care

Brook :)

thanks carole for youre reply. I am grateful i have found this forum as i have been very dissalusioned for five years. After being called an over anxious parent by school to all of a sudden given a diagnosis, i new feel an inner peace. I just wanted a name in order to help charlie, he deserves that much from all the so called professionals. How is asd diagnosed charlie was diagnosed by a person who is involved with the hearing impaired after many trips to different people. This infomation came second hand from his speech therapist who happen to mention it in conversation. Although i agree with the person who said it he doenst really conform to most of the "symptoms". He does dislike school, he struggles with new situations, clothes environemnts etc. He has friends in school, but likes a one to one friend. He has tantrums and obssesional beahviours are all these asscociated with asd.

many thanks laine ;)

ASD needs to be diagnosed by a professional who is qualified to give a diagnosis and it does not sound likly that the person who had made this comment is qualified to do so. However I do know that often the opinions of these professionals is sought when make a diagnosis.

If a diagnosis if important to you, and an official dx written on paper maybe be necessaru for school to provide support, then I would ask to be reffered to someone if your area who is qualified to say that your son has AS. It would be helpful to have the support of the hearing person and it may be a good idea to speak to them yourself.

Hope this helps

Carole

PS if you would like to ask more questions about this you can always pm me.

Edited by carole

Hi there i currently look after my sister-in-law whom is at college as she is 26 and unfortunatly the problem stays with them as they get older i have been into college so many times since the start of term they know me so well i do feel though she is not getting the right tuition, the others are behind her in class i feel the problem lies with the school collages etc as they do not understand the extent of Aspergers or autism thus making them feel unsecure at school/college and feeling misunderstood. Maybe seek out how much your childs teacher knows about his condition this way she can make him feel more comfortable at school and not saying hes ill?

Hope this helps Lizzie x x x x x