Sign in to follow this  
NikkiSmith

Getting a place in a special school nursery...

Right! I have finally got the time to sit and type this and desperately need some help.

My 3yr old has a diagnosis of ASD and his behaviour is extremely difficult to manage. His pre-school use a 1-to-1 helper (partly funded by the LEA) but she seems to spend most of her time "containing" him, often separately from the other children.

Following a meeting with the SENCO earlier this term, my dp and I visited the three local schools that might have been an option for ds2. We rapidly concluded that only the special school would be remotely suitable for when he starts school in September 2006. We were also hugely impressed by the attached nursery and felt that it would be ideal for ds2 now.

I told the SENCO this and was told there was a place available at special school Nursery (xxxxx) (edited by moderator to remove school name) after Christmas and that ds2 was the perfect candidate.

At this point, I (very stupidly!) thought it was a certainty that he would have a place after Christmas and all we had to do was wait.

Having spoken to the Ed psych I was told I had to put a request in writing to the "Principal Special Needs Officer" (?) so dutifully wrote him an e-mail, to which he replied saying he would discuss it with his senior colleagues.............. a week later I rang him and he says that he is waiting to hear back from his colleagues, but he's sure that in 2 or 3 weeks they will have got back to him!!!!! (ever efficient at Hampshire County Council then!) :o He said it was unusual for them to place children in the nursery before their March 2006 selection meeting, was I really sure I didn't want to wait til then??

Everyone keeps telling me it would be better to get him to the nursery and then Statement him there, yet getting him into the nursery is proving to be interesting!

So what should I do? I know that is a stupid question, but I really don't know what to do next. :wacko:

Who is this Principal Special Needs Officer's (edited by moderator to remove name) Senior Colleagues? Can I nag them too? ;)

WOW! If you have read this far you deserve a medal, have 2 if you've actually understood my mutterings! :lol:

Any help would be really appreciated as I am beginning to lose the plot.

Thanks,

Nikki.

Nikki,

I can understand your frustration. You have every right to make a parental request for a statutory assessment. Why don't you have a word with IPSEA, they will give you good advice. http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

I have had to edit out some of the names in your posting, it's forum policy not to mention names, schools or organisations.

Good luck I hope you get this sorted out soon.

Nellie xx

I think you need to take a two-pronged attack on this.

Carry on as you are and make a really good case as to why he should be there. I should imagine this person will be talking to the SEN panel, which where I live meets weekly. The agenda for the next meeting may be full, hence the delay. This gives you a little time to get some notes together with some evidence (medical reports, etc) of why your child needs to go there.

The second prong is to start the statutory assessment ball rolling to gain a statement of SEN which can name the nursery and the school. This course of action takes 6 months from start to finish, so is definitely Plan B, though if you get the parental request in to the LEA before Christmas that will save a few weeks.

You need to be familiar with the SEN Code of Practice - the DFES website has it, and as nellie says IPSEA can help.

Good luck with this.

Nikki,

Have a look at the following links, they will explain SEN procedures and the documents you will need.

NAS information on SEN procedure, NAS information sheets on Education

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

Useful Documents on SEN Procedure., For parents of children with SEN.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=675

Nellie xx