Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Latest on Louis's Permanent Exclusion.

Well, I have been in limbo not knowing what to do, where to go or who to see.

I was thinking about visiting a few mainstream schools locally to see what provisions they have for children with AS/ADHD, and was going to phone one today.

Then Louis said that one of his teachers at the EOTAS unit was asking Louis about going in the mornings. I phoned them to find out what is happening as I didn't even know when they were breaking up for Christmas.

I spoke to the Senior Primary Teacher who explained that they have left the Christmas preparations until the last week so as to cause minimum disruption, and that there is going to be a big party next Thursday in which they will have games and party food (that we have agreed to our children eating) (I personally can see a few problems this day - but that might change their perception of Louis being a 'model student')

They have also said that they have given in evidence to the SEN team dealing with Louis's statement (photocopying his School/Home/EOTAS link book - photocopying work which shows his reversal of numbers and words, and shows his inability to write on a line etc). I do think that although Louis has been doing well at the EOTAS unit, it will go to highlight to the SEN team that a small group with constant 1-2-1 is what Louis needs to thrive.

At the moment, Louis is only going for 1 1/2 hours an afternoon. They have said that after Christmas, they would like him to go in the mornings. Morning Sessions being from 8.45 til 12.20. Although Louis has said that he wants to go in the mornings, I think this may be difficult for him, as it is going to be a lot longer than he is used to at the moment. But I feel that I cannot continue to educate him myself at home as I am not getting any support as to what work he needs to be doing etc. It will also give me a few hours each morning as time for myself. Something which, at the moment, I don't have any of, and I desperately need.

The EOTAS unit are also going to be the ones 'sourcing' a new school for Louis. But they have given me their word that they will discuss the school with me before speaking to them about it. EOTAS have said that it can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 1 year to get him a placement. I am just crossing my fingers that a couple of weeks after they go back in January, the SEN Team decide that he needs a statement of SEN, and that he can go to a Special School.

Oh, and I have to go out especially and get Louis some black jumpers, and dark trousers to wear in the mornings, as the kids don't wear their old school uniforms then. (mornings are for permanently excluded and afternoons are for 'at risk of exclusion')

I am glad though that they have decided to leave the changes until after they go back to school, and not done it this side of Christmas.

Hi Fiorelli,

It really sounds like the EOTAS unit are on the ball :thumbs: .

The good thing that we found with Alex's one is that they don't pre-judge the children that come to them. Because they have much smaller groups of children, they get to know them and build up a better relationship with them, this in turn helps the children.

I understand how you feel about home-ed'ing. I take my hat off to people that do do it, but I also needed the break. As Alex is also doing his GCSE's in the summer, I didn't feel that I could teach him everything he needs to get through them, I don't understand half the stuff he does now either :wacko: .

I'm sure that the EOTAS unit will be more than happy to play things by ear after Christmas. I wouldn't think that they would want Louis to have any set-backs, especially now that he is doing so well.

Hugs to you both >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Annie

XX