Sign in to follow this  
Hectorshouse

Letter from school

The postmans just dropped a letter from school

Dear Mrs XXX

I am writing to let you know that unfortunately T has been reported by Mr XXX for refusing to do what he was asked during the lesson on 2nd December 2005 during Science. Also to let you know that three such occurences will result in a detention. We hope that you will take the opportunity to discuss what happened with T so that, together, we can help prevent such incidents in future.

Yours blah blah

OK I remember posting about T going back to old ways, and got on the old social story trail, which has been going remarkably well. I have checked his home school diary for the 2nd as well and there is no mention in there about any problems with science, he did have a wobbly day but from the diary it appears he managed to regain control in all incidents and apologized to his TA ... so where this has come from I don't know.

T's new school are fab, but I think perhaps this letter is a bit overboard, if I raise this now with T after such a period of time 1) he won't remember it at all 2) he'll then get seriously stressed and hey presto there goes the w/end.

I have many questions to ask after this letter has come -

1 - why wasn't this incident recorded in the home school diary?

2 - what actually was T refusing to do?

3 - did he actually understand what was required of him?

4 - had the work been differentiated for him?

I don't want to split hairs with them, but if I mention detentions and the like to T well I'm sure you can imagine the result ... any advice?

HHxx

Hi HH

I think that all of your questions are valid and are the questions that I would be asking - especially why was this not in the home school diary?

I certianly would NOT start making an issue of this with T now. I doubt that I could remember with any clarity what I was doing a week ago :unsure: And to be given a lecture or punished for something that you cannot remember is not on in my opinion.

Grit you teeth - smile - and ask them your questions but point out how difficult it is to get to the bottom of something that happened days earlier that there was no mention of in the diary.

Also if it's important enough to be documented in an official letter then why has it taken so long for them to send it - and then arrive on a Saturday when there is no one at school to speak to :angry:

Carole

Edited by carole

The answers to your questions are very simple: probably that science lesson was dead boring and T. knew already everything about what was being discussed in class. Maybe a little suggestion to the teacher, like, "make your lessons a bit more interesting"? :devil:

Sorry, i know, I'm bias :D

Martina

HH

Personally, I think the letter and incident just highlight how misunderstood asd is in school.

I'm surprised that they were surprised that T refused to do something. I'm surprised they made such an issue of it at the time. I'm surprised that they didn't write anything in his diary. I'm surprised they wrote to you about it.

Or, perhaps, I'm not surprised?

Barefoot

Thanks for the replies, I will smile very nicely and go and ask my questions next week, I think its bit over the top personally and like you Carole I have trouble remembering what I was doing 48 hours ago or even what I'm meant to be doing tomorrow :wacko:

Barefoot :lol::lol::lol: cynical us?

HHxx

I agree with Carole, I'm also pleased you're going to follow this up. I think these hairs need splitting. They can't have it both ways - nothing in T's book and then this letter more than a week after the event. :shame: Out of order!

Edited by phasmid