Sign in to follow this  
adamsmum

speach

Hi all. This may seem strange but when Adam was diagnosed no one told me wot to expect or how to help him. He's nearly 7 now and still has no speech at all is this common and is their still a chance or is this something we should eccept. The school is using pecks and teaching him sign but i thought they would try to get him talking. I don't like to saye enything to teacher as she probably thinks these are things i should know. No one ever explained enything they just told me he's autistic said it was infantile autism then sent me on my way. Has enyone els herd of this or eny ideas thanks Alison

Hi Adamsmum,

unfortunately I cant answer whether Adam will gain speech.

My son did not really gain speech until he turned four, although he has lots of speech now it is mainly learnt phrases and very repetitive questioning.

I am shocked that you have not been offered access to info, also the SALT, when our son was at school he had the autism outreach team going in to help out. Have you got a local NAS who could point you in the right direction to obtain some information?

The following link has lots of print out communication cards, you say they use pecs at school, I didn't know if you used it at home also, they have lots of cards on this site, also games, songs, etc.. to encourage communication.

http://www.do2learn.com/

Sorry could not have been more help.

Brook :)

I would ask for a referal to Speech and Language Therapy, okay he may not gain speech but I think you should atleast be able to have access to an expert, who will be able to advise you on methods of communication.

Question his teacher, find out what they are doing and what they are not doing and why?, Don't feel silly asking you have a right to.

I have an 11 year old with no speech. He uses PECS and is learning to use a voice output device from the Communication Aids Project. They can carry out a detailed assessment, but you need to have access to a speech therapist locally. I have had detailed talks with our speech therapists locally and although I should be expressing shock that your son seems to have been overlooked, it does not really surprise me as therapists are spread very thinly.

The funding for CAP runs out in March 2006, so you need to get moving. More information here:

http://cap.becta.org.uk/info.php?page=1

To be honest, I doubt whether there is enough time to access CAP, but there may be some kind of replacement service which I haven't yet heard about. If not, you can get a GP referral to somewhere like the Wolfson Centre (part of Great Ormond Street).

Also:

I think you need some advice about your son's statement of special educational need. Specifically about getting speech therapy recorded as an educational need. This means that when the NHS says 'sorry, we have no therapists' your local authority has to provide what is in the statement, even if that means hiring a private speech therapist.

My son has had very little in the way of speech therapy, so don't think you are alone. PM me if you like.

First of all you need to see your local SLT service. Our dept offers an open referral service which means you can refer your son and don't need to see your GP. I am sure your local SLT service offers something similar.

Second, who initiated PECS with your son? I would hope it was by someone who is experienced with working with children with complex communication disorders. There seems to be an ever growing army of amateur therapists out there and I find myself spending more and more of my time undoing all of their "well-meaning" meddling. If you refer yourself for a SLT assessment they would be able advise you on the most appropriate route for your son. PECS is not always the most appropriate support mechanism for those children who are non-verbal. Unfortunately, some children remain non-verbal and do not go on to develop meaningful language. When you talk about speech I presume you are talking about expressive language skills, speech is just the mechanism for movement of the anatomy in the mouth to create sounds. Expressive language needs to develop first before meaningful speech appears. Many people solely focus on the speech aspect of communication and are unaware of the prerequisite skills. Your therapist will want to focus on developing functional expressive language skills before looking at speech.

Call me Jaded is talking about using an high-tech AAC device, this is suitable for a small percentage of children with ASD and not appropriate for all. It seems that you are using a low-tech AAC approach as you mention PECS. AAC devices only amplify your child?s current expressive language skills- it doesn?t directly build language skills but some child like the computer-like devices. REMEMBER the child has to press and sequence the right buttons to get any meaningful output from a high-tech device. They are very expensive and therefore funding can be an issue. Call me jaded mentions the Communication Aid Project (CAP) which has been running for a couple of years and has given direct access to funding for communication aids, this does end next year.

As for a shortage of SLTs.......things will get worse before they get better. The Government has implemented a new Pay and Conditions for all NHS staff except for doctors, dentists and senior managers. Unfortunately, this new system is not good for senior SLTs, in my service we have had pay cuts of over 20% and given a longer working week. With my team I have seen therapists leave to join locum agencies and some leave to areas that have had no cut in pay. My PCT is in a bit of financial difficulty and so they were only too happy to grade us at lower grades. This will all add to a postcode lottery of services as PCTs that grade SLT at the lower end of the scale will find it difficult attracting replacements. This also affects OTs and Physios so keep an eye on the vacancies for your local PCT, if the list for SLT/PT/OT gets longer you know that your local PCT has cut their pay.

In short, get in contact with your local SLT service, get an assessment and draw up a programme.

Edited by slt101

It must be worrying and frustrating for you. You should be getting some more explanations and help for your son.