Sign in to follow this  
hollymg

Sippy Cups

Ds just turned 6 and still uses a sippy cup (hope that's what you call them in the UK so you know what I mean!). He can use a lidless cup, just doesn't want to. When we are in restaurants he of course uses a straw which is socially acceptable. I suspect part of the insistance is habit and part is sensory that he may not like his milk or water touching his lips. He has 3 cups at home that are his and only his, little sister knows this and will get the ones she knows are hers or purposely drink from his because she knows it pushes his buttons :P .

I admit I haven't thought about it much because they are awfully convenient and of course I don't want to give him any reason not to get liquid... But then I worry I'm just being lazy and not doing my job in helping him move on. Should the cups disappear (they have already, he had more than 3 to start with of course) and not be replaced as is how he finally and uneventfully got over pacifiers when he was 3? Or should I not sweat it and let him carry on?

My son has turned seven and still uses a 'sippy cup' or 'spouted cup' I dunno whatever you call them. :lol:

He can use a cup with no lid, but he is a little clumsy with drinks and I think he feels more confident with

the lidded cup, I've just got him a new one which isn't quite so babyish, but having said this, if we have

other children round he wont use it, so he is aware that he should maybe be using a normal cup, but

to be honest if he is in a situation where he has to use a normal one then he can, but I think he is a bit

apprehensive because if he was to spill his drink he knows that it would cause him to have a meltdown.

He also uses a straw when we are out and about. I personally dont see any harm, maybe your son

doesn't like a normal cup for the same reasons as my son, but if he is able to use a normal cup I think

that with time he may change over.

Brook :)

A not long gave up the bottle on his own. he is nearly 7. I didn't feel him having the bottle as problem it did no harm and gave comfort. He now uses normal cup but chose this on his own no pressure from me. I think all kids move on in there own time

My son still drank milk from a bottle at night when he was 5, :huh: and he had an obsession with his comfort blanket :rolleyes: .He also preffered a lidded cup, and so did I because he was forever knocking his drinks over :rolleyes: .Maybe you could keep his cup for special times like in the evening and use a drink with a straw at other times?............Or what about a sports bottle as an alternative?..............we use these for my nt daughter who only drinks milk or water ,not many places have these as an alternative to fizzy drinks and juice so we use a sports bottle to carry a drink for her around with us.Your son might like the idea of a sports bottle as they are a more grown up version of a lidded cup, but in essence still a lidded cup :rolleyes: .If he is totally opposed to changing his cup try not to worry it may be a comforter for him.Suzex.

My son drank form a oittle and a "sippy cup" for a long while.

I just wanted to say that my son whoes now 11 has a problem if the drink is too hot for him.And i stress what is too hot for him. His tea can to me feal virtually cold and hell say it is too hot and needs to cool down,also i found he was scared of spilling the drink and so id to only give him small amounts in a grown up cup at first.

Or how about smoothies that flow slower out of the cup into the mouth so the shock of the liquid hitting the lips and mouth isnt as sudden.

Good luck with it they all move on eventually.Its just small steps but they all get there.

Paula

Edited by Paula

We still have the lidded cups. Tried to get rid of them by phasing them out but they have stuck for two reasons. The clumsiness - we tend to have ordinary cups at the table but anywhere else he just spills; and the comfort factor. It calms him in a way nothing else will, along with the comfort blanket. He takes both to bed though I tend to have a no juice rule in the lidded cups - only milk or water unless things are really bad ie Christmas gave in eventually apple juice went in the cup! He will drink out of a proper cup or straw if we are at other peoples houses/ out and about.

I've just accepted it now. I used to think I had to get rid of them until I saw my friends five year old NT daughter go to bed with a bottle of chocolate milk and thought actually its not too bad for him at four to still have his spouty cup.

If it's not a problem for you and it's not a problem for him, then I'd let him keep the sippy cup.

The Boy has his drinks in a sports bottle. We did this because we found the spout cups just didn't hold enough for him any more - three swallows and he was bringing it to you for a refill - so we switched to sports bottles which hold more but still have the advantage of not spilling when knocked over.

You've said that you are worried that you are "lazy and not doing your job helping him to move on". That's tosh. I'm sure you are helping him in so many other ways, drinking from a spouted cup is so minor, esp if he can drink with straws.

If you think about it, I'm the lazy bum - switching him to a sports bottle cos I didn't like to have to keep getting up to refill his spout cup ! :D