Sign in to follow this  
Deblegs

Welfare Reform

Dear All

I heard on the news that the goverment is planning to take a million people off Incapacity benefit and get them into work.

This is a concern of my local Autistic Society and the National Autistic Society.

I am on this benefit but I am not going to worry about it as worrydoesn't change anything.

From Debbie Hudson

Hi Debbie,

Yes, it is a worry but you have a diagnosis which should help. My son is in the same position.

Good to see you back on the forum. Good luck with the Person Centred Planning.

Nellie xx

I really dislike the way the government do this. I'm sure that the system is open to abuse but most people who are on incapacity benefit are genuinely too ill to work and for the government to suggest otherwise is inciting the mob culture against those who are unfortunate enough to be in this position.

I think it is a good idea to put policies in place to help people who want to try and work to do so and to try and stamp out fraudulent claims but if a Doctor says you're too sick to work, you're too sick to work and just where are these million extra jobs coming from?

I think if someone has been out of work through illness and then gets better it can still be very hard for them to go back to work. Getting back into the work force after many years is a frightening thought.

the government should address this problem first. People assume most of these people are lazy but in reality they are probably scared.

Viper.

Hi Debbie,

Yes, it is a worry but you have a diagnosis which should help. My son is in the same position.

Good to see you back on the forum. Good luck with the Person Centred Planning.

Nellie xx

Thank you Nellie for the encouragement.

From Debbie

I think if someone has been out of work through illness and then gets better it can still be very hard for them to go back to work. Getting back into the work force after many years is a frightening thought.

And employers badly discriminate against job applicants who have been out of work for long periods of time. A long period of time is often defined by most employers as 6 months.

And employers badly discriminate against job applicants who have been out of work for long periods of time. A long period of time is often defined by most employers as 6 months.

This topic was being discussed on our local news last night and this point was particularly apparent. A number of employers were interviewed and of the replies shown all said that they would be reluctant to employ someone who had an illness which would qualify them for incapacity benefit because in their experience the nature of their difficulties were incompatible with the nature of their business. The opinion was expressed on several occasions that it was only large firms or multinational bodies that had the capacity to deal with the needs of workers in this position.

For some reason most employers are reluctant to even interview job applicants who have been out of work for over 6 months because of personal matters such as problems with their family or home educating their children. It is inappropriate to put such things down on a CV, but some employers come up with all sorts of ridiculous and baseless explanations for "blank" periods including being incarcerated in Nicaragua for human trafficking !

Canopus, how right you are. I work for an LEA (but I'm a nice worker!) I have worked for an LEA for some 12yrs now with some other employers in between. For this job it was a requirement before they would issue me with a firm offer for me to state ALL employment I had had since I left school - nearly 30yrs. Including all part time jobs and children breaks. .......So some of it was made up (because I really can't remember) but I have kept a copy just incase they do question me as to where I was employed on July 28th 1979!

So for people who have been on benefits it must be so hard, but surely a case of DDA? if an application is not taken? Love Kat

Not asd related but my step-dad has had to try a job for this reason. My understanding is he can trial it at this job and if his condition means he can't cope then he'll be able to get his benefit back without a fuss.

My GF is on this and we had to fight for it in the first place it was turned down two times and then went to appeal. I hope we don't have to go through that again. She does not even understand what it is!! They said that she would be fine in a job such as stcking shelves in a supermarket and I said No, she hates bus places then they said office work and I said No, she would not understand what she is ment to do. We have DLA forms to fill in and send off (when I pluck up the guts to fill them in).

Well I might expect a fight then, to be honest I would love to return to work, but I know with my medical problems its almost impossible. That added to caring for my son I'd need a very understanding employer, working 9.30-2.30 and time off at least once a week for appointments. I have never had a medical before but this has been set as they forgot to send me a questionaire form out, nice of them. No idea what to expect.

Canopus, how right you are. I work for an LEA (but I'm a nice worker!) I have worked for an LEA for some 12yrs now with some other employers in between. For this job it was a requirement before they would issue me with a firm offer for me to state ALL employment I had had since I left school - nearly 30yrs. Including all part time jobs and children breaks. .......So some of it was made up (because I really can't remember) but I have kept a copy just incase they do question me as to where I was employed on July 28th 1979!

Employers can check whether you are telling the truth about previous employment even down to the exact title used. They will come down like a ton of bricks on job applicants who say they worked as a garage mechanic 20 years ago when in fact they were an exhaust fitter. Employers can also demand proof of self employment from decades ago such as statements of accounts, advertisements, or customer testimonials. Does anybody keep the paperwork relating to the lawn mowing service they ran for 6 months of 1975?

Sounds very boring Oreo, oh well these things we must do. Thing is it won't make too much of a difference to me if they decline it even as the Carers award for my son will take its place when it comes to entitlement for other benefits (just rang to check that)would loose the disbility premium I get for me but nothing else she said.

Edited by lil_me

I'm on a different benefit luckily,medicals is one thing I hate,the doctors are usually interrogating and demand such specific answers that I cannot give,then they say make an estimate,still won't make any difference.

The last doctor I went to was different to the rest,she was very nice and didn't interrogate at all,but as usual,judged my difficulties on my vocabulary.

I think there are far more defrauders of job seekers allowance benefits than of incapacity,incapacity requires medicals,and doctors notes doesn't it?

People can walk in and get JSA easily,providing they go every two weeks to the job centre,to be seen looking for a job-i've known a few of them that do that.

Edited by TuX