Sign in to follow this  
amanda

is my son really borderline

:unsure: my son was diagnosed just before christmas, first we were told he was borderline. he has learning difficulties he is 8 he can read but is about a year to 18 months behind others in his class. he does seem to have a little bit of strange behavoir but i dont know if im reading too much into this. he is an only child, he has a coson who is 8 and he plays fine with her and her friends. i know he needs help with his education but should i make sure that he has asd what do you think

Hi Amanda

Welcome to the forum. :D

If your son has just been diagnosed you will be going through a lot of confusing emotions at the moment, what does it mean, how will it affect his future, how will this affect you and your family. If they are classing him as borderline it sounds as though it may be worth mentioning it to the school so they can be aware of why there may be learning difficulties.

There are lots of friendly, helpful people on here who are always available with plenty of excellent advice.

Daisy

Hello Amanda

Have you have a letter or written report setting out why your son has been diagnosed with AS? If not, then I suggest you ask for something - my son had a long and detailed report from the psychiatrist who diagnosed him - and this helped us to understand where the diagnosis came from. My son has 'mild' aspergers.

You have a right to know the reasons for a diagnosis being made - to help you understand your son. In the meantime, you'll find it useful to do lots of reading - try Tony Attwood's 'Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals'. If your son has AS, then you should recognise lots of the things that the book describes. Also, take a good look at the forum - it should soon give you an idea of what is common behaviour in children with AS. If it doesn't ring bells with you, then go back to the doctor for a reassessment.

Take care

Elanor

Hi Amanda and welcome.It can be very misleading when a diagnosis is given and the word borderline or indeed mild is used.Any child who has a diagnosis will be displaying various ASD traits that may impair upon their lives and functioning in certain situations.Does your son recieve any help at school, is the reading difficulty down to dyslexia.I would mention all your concerns to the school.Who was it who mentioned the borderline DX?..............I would push for a more concrete diagnosis, this will make it easier to access services to help your son.Best of luck Suzex.

Hi Amanda

I would say there are very few children with a.S. that can manage without any support at all.I would push for something more concrete.

As an adult with A.S. I can and did manage without any support as a child but i am sure i am in the minority.I have only just realised in the last six months that i have A.S. so in my case I guess it is quite mild.

Yes i did and still do find certain areas difficult as a child but i just presumed everyone found these things difficult so i just kind of managed.

I would push for something more definate if you feel your son needs it.good Luck. >:D<<'>