Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

Just stumbled upon this

DLA handbook - ASD's

This gives the criteria used to assess DLA. Provoking reasoning in places. But the very last papragraph is interesting with regards to Statements of SEN for school age children.

I apologise if some of what you read is upsetting, but this is OFFICAL guidance on granting DLA.

The link below takes you to the main site for the handbook:

DLA handbook for assesment You need to scroll down the page for this.

Apologies if this has been posted up before, if it has I have missed it.

First link is not working. If you follow the second one you need to scrool down the page to find the document the first link should have taken you to - sorry folks (Thanks Annie)

Edited by phasmid

very interesting wording in that paragraph, Phas

......or from the Statement of Special Educational Needs, which school-age children should have.

hmmm!

Zemanski

This ties in with the government's 'downgrading' of the effects of AS/HFA in adults methinks ... :(

... and I've just received the renewal forms for J's DLA today :(

Thanks - very interesting.

(Chapter 37 is the ASD chapter for anyone else trying to find it).

Several things bother me about this.

"Aspergers syndrome can be regarded as a mild form of autism" - ho hum.

Information about IQ is considered to be useful evidence why - ???

And I'm sure it's news to all of us that all children on the spectrum will have a statement!

I'm wondering whether to write to the NAS about this?

MotherEve,

Don't worry about the renewal forms this document has been used by the DWP for some time. It was in use when I applied for DLA for A and he recived it, just make sure that your forms show how much additional help your child needs and that you back it with evidence. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it is renewed without problems.

I have been saying for sometime now how unhappy I am about the wording that NAS uses re AS. When it comes to criteria for EVERYTHING it appears that the powers that be all rely on the info put out by NAS.

Now we all know that AS and HFA can be anything but mild but how do we make others understand this? NAS must surely be our first port of call? I know that what I am about to say is very contentious but I often wonder of NAS are in some way made to hold the stand point on these things that they do? I hope not.

This year is the Birthday of Hans Aspergers (February) and I have some ideas about something that we could do to mark this. One of those ideas was that we begin to lobby NAS round about the time of his Birthday. It would take a fair few of us to do this and make the news but I think that at that time it might just work.

Carole - whose new signature should be SLEEP - What's that! :blink:

Sorry for being dim - but i can find the bit relating to ASD??

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Scroll right down the page, nearly to the bottom, then look for chapter 37 - it's a pdf file so will open in acrobat reader if you click on it or you can fight click, choose save target as, and then save it to your own computer to read at your leisure.

Hope this helps

Me again - did you know you can also access the 'bible' that the non-medical decision makers refer to for deciding DLA claims:

Go to http://www.dss.gov.uk/publications/dwp/dmg/

then click on 'Vol 10' in the upper row

then move to the drop down arrow on the left and choose chapter 61 - you can't download directly from this link but when the document opens in adobe reader there is a button in the top left saying 'save this document' and you can save it to your computer via that: screen shots below

82944991_b1db4597b5.jpg

82946746_0ddf146520.jpg

Interesting bit in the learning disability section ... section 20

20.3.1 Intelligence quotient [iQ] or mental age assessment was not designed for the

purpose of assessing the needs of a person with learning disabilities and can

be very misleading in this context.

The government obviously missed that bit when it came to 'Valuing People'

The main problem with DLA is that it appears to be geared more towards those with physical difficulties. Disabilities come in such a huge range its bizarre to use a one size fits all set of forms. That is why people have such a problem completing the flipping things.

Over the years we have had such problems with the whole sytem I could write a book.

Lorainexx

thanks for putting this up,i have the task of doing indias DLA form tonight,i have to have it in to them by the 13th jan,this will be a great help :thumbs: