Sign in to follow this  
adamsmum

face pulling

K keeps pulling strang faces. It's hard to describe but it's mainly lower part of face mouth lips and sometimes nose. He dosent seem to know he's doing it. the old man calls it gurning :huh: He' also rocks back and forth hitting chin on palm of hand only gently he seems to like preshure on his chin but he doesn't realize he doing that either. Is this a part of AS or is it something els. He's alway don this but it's getting worse lately. Should i mention this when he next sees pediatrician

My daughter gently clicks her fingers together just in front of her ears - I don't know whether it's the sound she likes or what - but the CPN said it is extremely common in children with AS to have little 'tics', rocking or any other form of flapping, flicking etc.

My daughter doesn't realise she's doing it - although I've noticed this is much more prominent when she is anxious or not well.

The Boy likes to put his cheek right up to your cheek and look into your eye from the side of his eye, whilst pulling a very bizarre face :D

He also likes things that "flap" e.g. will pick up pieces of floppy track for his cars and walk around waving them.

I've certainly always assumed it was part and parcel of his ASD - they seem to keep him happy!

Hi adamsmum,

Yup, this is stimming, it's something my son does, it relaxes him. Adults with ASD say that it is as natural as breathing to them, so i wouldn't worry. The only thing i would say is - my son 'stims' (just like adam, mouth and chin 'tics'/twitches) - but he tends to do it more if he's anxious. Is adam worried about something?

I would definately mention it to adam's dr. If it becomes too severe it may be worth looking into tourettes syndrome, which sometimes is co-morbid with ASD - so it's worth letting them know.

>:D<<'>

Hi i think k has been nervouse. Im not shore what to do wether to go to school or family docter. he's not yet diagnosed and isent due to see enyone for a bit.

My son chews his hands and clicks his knuckles all the time when hes relaxing on a night watching TV.

He also plays with a yo yo constantly whilst watching the tv.Its kinda fuynny because hes sat there 12 years old in underpants only , dont ask, pulled rather high up his stomach , againe we dont enquire , and theres this yo yo going up and down all night.He even yo yos when hes eating his tea or sometimes when hes on the ps2 its nutts i guess.

Sometimes i say to him step away from the yo yo try to resist it.He must kinda know its strange because he does laugh at this.

Hes 12 and AS.

Bless him.

Sometimes he insists on wearing his underpants back to front a kind of make shift thong.God help us all.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Paula

Its kinda fuynny because hes sat there 12 years old in underpants only , dont ask, pulled rather high up his stomach , againe we dont enquire , and theres this yo yo going up and down all night.He even yo yos when hes eating his tea or sometimes when hes on the ps2 its nutts i guess.

Sometimes i say to him step away from the yo yo try to resist it.He must kinda know its strange because he does laugh at this.

Hes 12 and AS.

Bless him.

Sometimes he insists on wearing his underpants back to front a kind of make shift thong.God help us all.

Oh Paula, you've given an old bird a good cheer up & laugh there mate - thanks so much.

It did cross my mind tho that my (supposedly) NT hubby likes nowt better than to sit around the house in his pants. Mebbe it's a "man thing"

paula k do's that eith pants :lol::lol: we keep thinking he will do damage he pulls them up so far. He likes to wear only pants but he do's try going buff to he's 8 so we try to stop him :lol: no shame he striped in garden in summer for all to see :wub: . H e realy dident see the problem

My son has started to make strange noiseswhen he gets excited, for instance were about to get into the car to get a KFC (which he likes :D )..........and he,s making sqwarking noises and running around pretending to be a bird. He goes very Mr. bean aswell. :huh:

Paula -

If you've got a 12 year old boy who sits on the sofa in his underpants and plays with a YOYO count your blessings...

Suze - If your boy pretends to be a chicken every time you go to KFC - take him to SPUD-U-LIKE! That'll confuse him! ;)

L&P

BD :D

:lol::lol::lol: baddad you are funny after a realy bad day that cheerd me up thanks :lol:

Sometimes he plays with something else inside his underpants also.Thats a whole new ball game :lol::lol:

Our son also pulls his tousers up realy high also.Simon cowels got nothing on him.They fit niceley under his arm pits.To counteract this ive to buy thing realy long so that he doesnt look daft.

His very very fashion consious 14 year old sister despaires at him.

Well things have now come to ahead K will not go to school i know if i send him he will couse problems. He's constantly clearing his throut pulling faces and so on. He said the work at school is hard thay make him sit down the boys dont like him tell him to go away. Well I have no exeriance of dealing with this :( so will try docters. He's only 8 it seems ridiculas for him to be under so much stress :crying:

Hello everyone,

My son does all the above - Stimming is as smileymab write is quite normal, sometimes anxiousness may make the stim increase , stimming can and is soothing and the older the kids get they seem to be able to control the stimming (i can) apart from times of extreme anxiousness. My son has motor tics (tourettes) in his eyes the intensity and frequency of these change considerably if placed in a situtation unfamiliar. I have placed here a little information for you to peruse at your lesiure The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , 4th ed (DSM-IV-TR). for Tourette syndrome is as follows for making the diagnosis:

Diagnostic Criteria for 307.23 Tourette's Disorder;

? both multiple motor tics and one or more vocal tics must be present at the same time, although not necessarily concurrently;

? the tics must occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently over more than 1 year, during which time there must not have been a tic-free period of more than 3 consecutive months;

? the age at onset must be less than 18 years;

? the disturbance must not be due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g. stimulants) or a general medical condition (e.g. Huntington's disease or postviral encephalitis)

I have placed the following link in case you would like to look around the official toutrette's http://www.tsa.org.uk/what_are_the_first_symptoms_.asp

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father