Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

Amazing memory

Last Thursday whilst preparing for swimming my son said 'Remember the swimming we went with 3 pools' anyway me and my partner sat clueless had no idea where he mean't. Then he said 'Mikey was on Daddy's back in the big pool' I remembered where it was, I asked him what the rest was like, where the changing rooms were and what else we did there, he remembered almost everything. Dad still sat clueless for ages until I mentioned something which jogged his memory.

Anyway the scary part is noone has mentioned this place or what its like to him since, we haven't been there since. He was 2 years and 2 months when we last took him. He is 7 now :blink:

He lso remembers the first time he visited a sealife centre with my Dad, he was 2 1/2 then.

Anyone elses children got an amazing memory for things they liked ?

Edited by lil_me

Ds1 has got a fantastic memory for his age (he's two and a half). He can remember and sing several verses of songs, remember puzzles that he hasn't done in ages and repeat back things he's heard several days before.

Yes, Kai's long term memory is amazing. His short term memory is practically non-existant though!

He can remember things in detail from 5 years ago (he is 7) and he gets really cross with me when i can't remember (i think my brain cells are rapidly dying off!).

Loulou x

:lol: That was the problem we had, he was angry that at first we didn't remember, his short term memory is almost non existant. We sat there in shock, I still can't believe it now as he was so young then and could hardly talk.

absolutely tricky remembers stuff from about 18 months old good and bad he remembers a spot where my dad's car broke down and every time we drive past it (which isnt often) he always announces "this is where poppy's car got sick"

(he is 8)

From my experience people with a.s. have an absolutely fantastic long term memory.I actually can remember sitting in my pram!!How scary is that.I can remember where the furniture was in a house i lived in when I was just three.i still walk down this road now and i can remember whatside of the road it was on and i think i have narrowed it down to a couple of houses.

My father was a signalman and I can remember going to work with him and pulling all the levers to make the trains operate.I was probably about two!!

I can remeber everything about living at my nan's when I was only three.

Your right many people with a.s. have an appalling short term memory and are unable to remember hurtful things they have said or done and you can often be accused of making it up.it is very distressing.My husband has a friend like this.

I though am different because my short term memory is as good as my long term memory.My husband often calls me the walking memory bank. :rolleyes:

At work when people want to remember details of their own lives that happened years ago(have worked with the same people for years!) they come up to me and ask me, you'll know they say you remember everything from the year dot.It all gets filed away on a giant disc or something!!

From articles i have read many people with a.s. can remember the colour of furnishings curtains carpets etc and even what they felt like going right back to when they were a tiny child. :rolleyes:

Even at school other mums ask me who is it what class, what's this persons name etc.My daughter had only been at the school a month I knew the names of all the girls in her class before she herself did and all the names of the girls in the other class that's thirty odd girls, much to hubbies amusement. :lol::lol:

At my daughter's dancing I know everybodys name, my daughter does not and what classes they do e.g. tap, ballet, modern, jazz, gym etc.There must be about 80 girls.I am a mind of useless information :):)

Edited by ceecee

J can dredge stuff up from the annals of time :lol: - sometimes we have no idea what he's on about and then he gets cross 'cos he seems to think that if he can remember then so can we! :lol:

This memory thing makes so much sense now. And it's strange for me because the events that I remember from early on don't seem to have any significance. Eg I can remember looking at my new born sister when I was nearly three and thinking "Good God, isn't she bald?". And I can remember a dream in vivid detail when I was three and watching my dad bring the coal in when I was 18 months. I can also remember my older sister going off to school for the first time, but have no recollection of my own first day.

And yet I struggle to remember where I've put the keys each morning :D

Yeah, I've good a good memory - but only for irrelevant stuff - especially dates of things. If it has any practical use in real life, I'll forget it, but pointless little quotes people have said, random song lyrics, places and dates I'm stuck with forever... I won't bore you with the demonstration I was considering giving...

My sons memory astounds me, but he seems to remember such small irrelevant things (well, to us anyway).

I used to take him to a mums and tots group when he was two(now seven), they used to have a drink and a biscuit, well the other day we was in the chemist and he ran up to the baby cups and said "mum, quick look"

I went over and looked but did not know 'why' I was supposed to be looking, he said "that cup, it's the

same", I said "the same as what"? he said "when we used to go to the church for drink and biscuit, they

had a cup like that". :blink:

Also when I had my second son, my ASD son came to visit us in hospital, he still talks about the adverts

that were on my little hospital tele and can tell you exactly what they were, that was three and a half years

ago now. :blink:

Brook

Same here - long term memory for totally pointless information (like how many people were sitting in the book corner of the library three years ago :blink: ) is good. Short term memory - hopeless. I can send little monkey upstairs for something - by the time he's at the top of the stairs - totally forgotten.

But, his rote memory is amazing. When he first began school they sent the children home with little cards with all the 'first words' on them to learn. 46 in his little bundle. It took me ages to explain to his teacher that he had memorized them in the correct order (he could say them, in order, without looking). Eventually, i muddled them up - he didn't have a clue then. Same with reading books. He would bat his eyes and ask someone to read it to him first. Then he would be able to repeat it back, turning pages at the correct time etc..

At 15 months he had memorized most of his books in the same way. :blink: