Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

We have another problem

Tonight i was reading M a book I got out the library on feeling sad. It was helping him to understand the feeling and he started talking to me about school. just the odd bits like he occassionally gets in to trouble etc. Then he tells me he is sad because he has trouble remembering things. i asked him to explain and he told me if he was to talk to me and say one thing if he then tells me something else he can not remember the first thing he was talking about. he then said he can't remember what other people say to him. I asked him about his teacher and he said by the time she has moved on to the next bit he has forgotten the first.

When M was 3 I approached the health visitor because I thought he had a short term memory problem but she said she had never come across it before. As M is now 5 he is able to tell me some of the things that are difficult for him and obviously this is one of them.

I am now thinking is this why he can't read. He struggles to remember words he has just been told and by the time i have turned the page he has no idea at all. i will have to approach his teacher again now.

Has anyone any advice how i can make things easier for him or any info I can get from websites etc that i can show his teacher to explain the problem and also ways to help him when teaching him.

Thanks in advance

mum22boys

Annie has one of the worlds worst short term memories I have meet in a young child.

She scraed her lovely pead' with just how bad it can be.

Annie also has terrible dyslexia and cannot sequence, organise or store new information she has to learn everything by rote. (poor kid)

Dyslexia can be one of those sneaky hidden co-morbidities that hides behind ASD. Have a read up on dyslexia and see if you think that might me a direction to look at.

Sam has similar seeming problems but in his case its ADHD...no attention span!

I think this is something worth talking to a peadiatrician about even if it is soley to seek reassurance this is normal for your son when compared to his family.

Thanks Elouise,

M has had an early screening for dyslexia which showed he was at medium to high risk of having it. he will have to wait now until he is 6/7 to be assessed. I think the school will assess at 7 but the dyslexia institute will do it at 6. i would happily pay only problem is m can not cope with going to new places and i know he will not co-operate. i think i have no option but to wait until the school can do it.

Feel like it is a long wait to get some help, if we get any at all!

mum22boys

you may be able to arrange for the consultation to take place in your home or at school, may cost more though

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

I have experience with dsylexia and a.s.My dh and dd both have dsylexia.

These are the differences i have noticed between the two as far as memory goes.

A.S. It is usually short term memory that is affected only.Long term memory is usually excellent.

Dsylexia.It is poor all round memory.E.g. my husband is completely unable to remember things that happened when we first met fifteen years ago :(

Someone with a.s. is likely to remember every detail but would be unable to remeber all of a conversation they had with you last week. :wallbash::wallbash:

Hope this helps. :)

I have no advice but just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and hope you get some help and answers.

>:D<<'>

Thanks all for your replies.

I approached M's teacher on Tuesday. I told her what he had told me and she looked suprised (don't know why as they have a SALT report to back this up). She understood then that he needs to be re-told all instructions very simply. I then asked her what support he has in class. She looked confused and said 'well i go round and see all the children'. So I said ' so he gets the same help as all the other kids' she said yes. I asked her how when the head has told me he is being treated as he is on the autistic spectrum (still awaiting assessment) that he gets no additional help in class even though i am in there everyday with all these problems and he has a short term memory problem. She said she would approach the head herself about it!!! Perhaps the penny has finally dropped!

But she still maintains he is 'coping ok' at school. I certainly don't agree. he hates school and even asked me the other night if he could change school and he hates change! So No I don't think he's coping. What annoys me is when the hospital approach the school prior to M's assessment she would probably tell them he is coping ok.

Oh well the battle continues....

mum22boys

my mum says i have a selective memory but some times i cant remeber things i whant to remember let alone things my mum whats me to do

my mum says i have a selective memory but some times i cant remeber things i whant to remember let alone things my mum whats me to do

selective and short term memorys are different though poppet.